Clutch pedal and Hydramax clutch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxgranch

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Base Convertible 302
We are at the argh state of converting the early 72 convertible from FMX to T5 and dealing with the clutch pedal. I have come to accept the need to remove the pedal assembly support and attendant interfering parts. Argh. I found this video on installing the bearings for the clutch:

Welding, being bad, would be nice to avoid. From what the man says on the video, the brake pedal gets to continue hanging on the 3/8" hole and the clutch pedal would hang in the hole where Ford apparently put the clutch pedal. It appears to me that the two pedals, OEM brake and Modern Driveline clutch, would be happy hanging from the same pivot point which makes me wonder if they will align oddly in the car if hung from different spots. It made me wonder about drilling out the 3/8" hole so that the bearing kit from Scot Drake would fit and then hanging both pedals from that spot? Could that cause alignment issues with the clutch master or some other cosmic component? This would eliminate welding which is good despite my ability to borrow a welder and forgoing the joy of figuring out how to use it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

I used the Modern Driveline clutch pedal and mounted it as recommended. 10 years and 40k miles later it still performs perfectly. I did weld the bushings in with the assembly in the car. Pull the carpet before welding... ;-).

I used a conversion kit from Mustang Steve. It actually could easily be made by anyone with some machining and welding skills. One area to watch for is the side draft on the bracket. On my bracket, I needed to grind the bearing carriers at an angle to overcome this draft angle and ensure the shaft was straight and true, i.e. no binding. Something to watch for no matter which kit you use.

Thanks all. So it seems that the brake pedal should go in the original 3/8" hole and the clutch pedal into the larger hole which is apparently the way Ford did it, though the manual cars had a bushing there. And from reading elsewhere, it appears I have to remove the dash pad to get the pedal assembly support out. I am very dubious about trying to weld it in the car. I promised my son not to burn his car down and my wife to not burn the house down, so I was planning on using the flux core welder outdoors.

Back