convenience pack

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justimagine

Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible Mustang
Hi does does any one have fitting instructions for the auto seat release system photos would be of help as well

I don't have pictures. If you can get a copy of the Jim Osborn, 1971-1972 Mustang, Electrical Assembly Manual the drawing is E2Z-608-4. The harness comes out of the passenger's side (US) kick panel opening goes rearward on the rocker panel to the passenger's seat platform turns toward the driver's side, a pigtail goes to the passenger's seat, then over the tunnel to the driver's seat. The seat itself has a harness attached to the seat bottom and hinge and then connects to the latch solenoid in the seat back. Chuck

Chuck your discription sounds like 71

73 and I think 72 the wires did not go over tunnel anymore.Each side ran along the rocker, Pretty sure it changed when the seat belt sensor was used in each seat. Also some have different connectors on them.

Anyone using these PLEASE NOTE solinoids can go bad, some over heat if the door is left open for a long time. Have taken some very blackened / discolored ones out of several parts cars.

Don

The drawing I looked at is dated 8/25/71 (72 production year). The wiring for the seat belt switch in the retractors run down both sides at the rocker, drawing E2Z-310-1, dated 1/21/72. But, you've had a lot more of these apart than I have or would want to. Chuck

As mine was never connected, I´m gonna hyjack this thread a little and ask what the seat back release is actually supposed to do.

Does it release the back of the seat automatically once a door is open, so that you need not reach down and unlatch it yourself?

I´m ashamed to say that I never actually tried to hook it up and see if it works, simply because I didn´t know what it was meant for.

Yes, it is supposed to automatically release the seat so you can fold it forward to access the rear seat when you open a door.

Mine has not been hooked up. We wondered what the wires were for under the carpet then found the solenoid when we

did the upholstery work. The connectors are different between the solenoid and under carpet wire. Don has a good point.

You leave the door open and you got a hot solenoid. Already avoided one "fire" when the console clock's coils smoked.

The clock was on a test bench at the time. We now have a smoke-proof clock system.

mike

Hey guys, I just ripped apart my passenger seat and I also have the electric release option. I thought that I didn't but I do. Below are some pics of the system in the passenger seat.

ETA: Goodnigh noticed that I had the auto seat release, he posted it back in May of 2011 in response to one of my threads. Good eye, Mike!

Connector under seat bottom (notice that it's caught in the spring):

zx8qkn.jpg

Cable running from the seat bottom to seat back:

27895.jpg

Solenoid in the seat back:

zvttae.jpg

Yes, it is supposed to automatically release the seat so you can fold it forward to access the rear seat when you open a door.

Mine has not been hooked up. We wondered what the wires were for under the carpet then found the solenoid when we

did the upholstery work. The connectors are different between the solenoid and under carpet wire. Don has a good point.

You leave the door open and you got a hot solenoid. Already avoided one "fire" when the console clock's coils smoked.

The clock was on a test bench at the time. We now have a smoke-proof clock system.

mike
I wonder if you can wire in a thermal safety to automatically break the circuit if the solenoid gets too hot. That would be pretty trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back