Convertible top issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Waiting on new conv. top switch for my 73. Can the top be manually put down or up with two people or will that damage anything ? If I can get to the old switch is there a way to jump the switch with a wire to over ride the broken switch and put the top up or down ? And .... how do you remove the plastic collar around the steering column near the dash so I can take the gauge face cluster off to access the switch ... can't reach it from underneath ? Thanks for any advice !

Steve

If you pull the pins from the hydraulic lift cylinders, you could probably manhandle it up and down with help. I would not recommend trying it with the lift cylinders connected.

There is a clip on the bottom of the collar that slides off (hint: use needle nose pliers to pull off via the tab).

If you pull the pins from the hydraulic lift cylinders, you could probably manhandle it up and down with help. I would not recommend trying it with the lift cylinders connected.

There is a clip on the bottom of the collar that slides off (hint: use needle nose pliers to pull off via the tab).
THanks for the info ... does the tab slide up or down ?

steve

You can run 12 volts to the red wire to make it go down, or run 12 volts to yellow to make it go up. The black wire at the switch is your 12 volt hot from your 20 amp breaker mounted on the starter solenoid. So you can jump from that black to red or yellow if desired.

The switch is removed by turning the inside collar counterclockwise with needle nose pliers in the four slots. The switch will fall out the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can run 12 volts to the red wire to make it go down, or run 12 volts to yellow to make it go up. The black wire at the switch is your 12 volt hot from your 20 amp breaker mounted on the starter solenoid. So you can jump from that black to red or yellow if desired.

The switch is removed by turning the inside collar counterclockwise with needle nose pliers in the four slots. The switch will fall out the back.
Thanks ... very hard to get to, doesn't seem like there is enough slack for it to fall out under the dash. I will take a closer look at it. Thanks again.

Steve

Thanks ... very hard to get to, doesn't seem like there is enough slack for it to fall out under the dash. I will take a closer look at it. Thanks again.

Steve
Hello,

thankf for all the info. Got it all squared away. Found the black wire in engine compartment that powers the conv. switch. Someone had addes a fuse which was blown. Put a new fuse in and the new switch, works fine now. Thanks to all for the info. !

Latest posts

Back