Cooper Cobra or BFgoodrich ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the moment my car has Hercules HP4000 tires. I just need another set of RWL tires....how do those Mastercraft Avenger tires handle? They habe the correct 'look' that I like.........

I dont drive fast.........and the car wont see much rain.......

I experience that 'browning' also. Not sure what is the exact source of the issue since I do not use any kind of tire treatment, but I even see it on my spare in the trunk now and then. I clean it off the letters by using Denatured Alcohol on a terrycloth rag and carefully wipe each letter. Lacquer Thinner also works, but I usually avoid that since it can be pretty aggressive on 'rubberized' compounds. Once cleaned, the tires look good for quite some time.

Sand them. They are white all the way to the tire. like a 400 grit.
Good advice, guys. I'll give the denatured alcohol a shot first, since it's "less invasive." Then maybe a quick run of lacquer thinner if it doesn't pan out. Then finally, some 400-grit if all else fails.

Great ideas! Thanks! ::thumb::

I experience that 'browning' also. Not sure what is the exact source of the issue since I do not use any kind of tire treatment, but I even see it on my spare in the trunk now and then. I clean it off the letters by using Denatured Alcohol on a terrycloth rag and carefully wipe each letter. Lacquer Thinner also works, but I usually avoid that since it can be pretty aggressive on 'rubberized' compounds. Once cleaned, the tires look good for quite some time.

Sand them. They are white all the way to the tire. like a 400 grit.
Good advice, guys. I'll give the denatured alcohol a shot first, since it's "less invasive." Then maybe a quick run of lacquer thinner if it doesn't pan out. Then finally, some 400-grit if all else fails.

Great ideas! Thanks! ::thumb::
Eric,

I have always used 2 Pack reducer with a white cotton t shirt cloth on my white lettering sparingly and have always got top cleaning results with it. 2pack reducer is less much less solvent stringent than thinners is, but still brings the white lettering up very well. Also, it has never effected, ruined or retarded the rubber compound itself. That would be my recommendation .::thumb::

Greg.:)

Eric,

I have always used 2 Pack reducer with a white cotton t shirt cloth on my white lettering sparingly and have always got top cleaning results with it. 2pack reducer is less much less solvent stringent than thinners is, but still brings the white lettering up very well. Also, it has never effected, ruined or retarded the rubber compound itself. That would be my recommendation .::thumb::

Ding, Ding, Ding - we have a winner! ::thumb::

I'll check into snagging some of this at the local paint shop tomorrow. Thanks!

The browning comes from the oils in the rubber. If you look at older tires that have been sitting for a while you will see that they turn slightly reddish-brown. That's the same thing.

No need to use anything aggressive. Simply use something that will get rid of grease and wipe them clean. I use a household cleaner that is based on turpentine and apply it with a rag. After you break the first layer of brown buildup you'll see a result quickly.

I don't use harsh chem on my tires.

For tire dressing that I've found doesn't discolor the lettering I use Griot's Garage Long Lasting Tire Dressing. It stays on the best of those I've tried. I use it on my Vette and Mustang tires.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/long-lasting+tire+dressing+16+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn

There are a couple places that produce the lettering decals for tires. I got a demo at Barrett Jackson's by Tire Graficx they looked good and stay on during washing and driving. They gave me a sample to take home and put on my 73 and they stayed until I put the Coopers on.

http://shop.tiregraficx.com/

https://www.tirestickers.com/

OK - so the local Paint Specialties store has never heard of 2 Pack reducer. Can I assume that's a brand name, and that paint reducer in general will work? I ask because they have Master Pro and U-POL products.

So, yesterday after I returned from O'Reilly Auto Parts with some Goo-Gone, I gave that a shot. Sprayed some on, let it sit about a minute, then vigorously scrubbed with a red shop cloth (trying to let the cleaner do the work, rather than scuff anything up). It helped a little - but still didn't get the letters all the way to a solid color yet (still a little faded, not quite 'white,' but closer).

Then I tried some Master Pro Surface Prep, and it didn't really do much, either.

I even got a Scotch Brite 320-grit pad, and it didn't do squat before it started giving up the ghost.

Then I tried some paint thinner (forgot the name brand), and it had the best results. They're still not 'white,' but at least almost all the same light color. I hit it with some Bleache-White to get the remaining chemicals off before calling it a day.

My next three options to try are:

• Mr. Clean Eraser Pad
  • House Of Kolors reducer I use for my airbrush
  • finally some Acid Wheel Cleaner I scored from a local car detailing shop when I was having a hard time getting rid of hard-water deposits on my '95 Honda's windows.

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

OK - so the local Paint Specialties store has never heard of 2 Pack reducer. Can I assume that's a brand name, and that paint reducer in general will work? I ask because they have Master Pro and U-POL products.

So, yesterday after I returned from O'Reilly Auto Parts with some Goo-Gone, I gave that a shot. Sprayed some on, let it sit about a minute, then vigorously scrubbed with a red shop cloth (trying to let the cleaner do the work, rather than scuff anything up). It helped a little - but still didn't get the letters all the way to a solid color yet (still a little faded, not quite 'white,' but closer).

Then I tried some Master Pro Surface Prep, and it didn't really do much, either.

I even got a Scotch Brite 320-grit pad, and it didn't do squat before it started giving up the ghost.

Then I tried some paint thinner (forgot the name brand), and it had the best results. They're still not 'white,' but at least almost all the same light color. I hit it with some Bleache-White to get the remaining chemicals off before calling it a day.

• Mr. Clean Eraser Pad
  • finally some Acid Wheel Cleaner I scored from a local car detailing shop when I was having a hard time getting rid of hard-water deposits on my '95 Honda's windows.

Eric,

Most or all paint companies make their own version of reducers (fast, medium and slow) PPG, for example sell theirs. Buy medium or slow reducer for yourself. Remember, if the white lettering is in dirty, poor shape, it follows that you will have to put more rubbing or elbow grease into the letters to make them come up really white again.

https://www.welleauto.com/index.php/online-shopping#!/DT885-Slow-Reducer-PPG/p/50415751

http://www.tptools.com/U-Pol-Standard-Urethane-Reducer,8109.html

Thanks, Greg. I kind of figured as much.

Sadly, the letters are in perfect shape - less than 20 miles on the tires... they just started going brown sitting in my garage. The only issue is that they're dirty (after a single shot of tire dressing at the car show in 2014) after just sitting in the garage, out of the wind, dust, sun, etc.

And it's only the fronts doing this - going brown from the tops of the letters inward on the sidewalls. The rear tires are not doing this in the least.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

• Mr. Clean Eraser Pad

I spray brake cleaner on a rag and wipe each letter. It's fast, easy, and it works well. Then apply tire shine.

Stay away from Cooper Cobra tires

buy the BFgoodrich.

white vinegar can also be used to get white back in tire lettering.

I have been driving on BFG tires for 4 years now with no issues. They are good on wet payment. I been caught in a few thunderstorms and they are fine in the rain.

John J

Ok guys/gals....awesome info all around. Wow....it seems the Cooper Cobras have a few pros and cons.....just like the other tires. Even the HP4000 tires that are on the car, have a few issues when googled!

I need LOOKS more than actual handling. The car will only rarely see rain orwet conditions. The car will not be driven aggressively at all. It will cruise around in the sunshine to a show here and there.....

So.........for the REAL looks.......I am gonna' go with either Cooper Cobras or Mastercraft Avengers. Can anyone help with getting me a set of Avengers and shipping to Denmark? I will pay all of course!

BFG's are nice too.....but are VERY common in the muscle car environment.......I would like something just a tad different........and those Avengers seem darn cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys/gals....awesome info all around. Wow....it seems the Cooper Cobras have a few pros and cons.....just like the other tires. Even the HP4000 tires that are on the car, have a few issues when googled!

I need LOOKS more than actual handling. The car will only rarely see rain orwet conditions. The car will not be driven aggressively at all. It will cruise around in the sunshine to a show here and there.....

So.........for the REAL looks.......I am gonna' go with either Cooper Cobras or Mastercraft Avengers. Can anyone help with getting me a set of Avengers and shipping to Denmark? I will pay all of course!

BFG's are nice too.....but are VERY common in the muscle car environment.......I would like something just a tad different........and those Avengers seem darn cool.
Hi again Anders,

If you really like the Mastercraft tires, then try your best to find a company in Denmark that imports them. If that fails, then try to find an American company that will ship them to your country.

You may wanna ask your local authorities if the tires need the "EU" stamp before you import tires yourself. Some countries require them.

If you want something different, try these guys

http://tredwear.com/

and get your own custom decals. Like "ANDERS" on top and "MACH-1 RADIAL" opposite. (btw "anders" means "different" in German, so it would be a perfect fit! :) )

Or just "Mach-1" and Radial GT" or whatever.

I'm pretty sure it's what they used on this car:

The other plus is that you can use tires with a more modern tread so that it improves handling and you're no longer limited by the small number of companies that offer raised white letters.

if you want to kill yourself install cooper tires, i'm not kidding.

i wish there was a way to rent tires for testing for like 2 days, because you will not know the difference unless you had different tires on the car to see the handling difference.

i had cooper tires on my car for about 8 years. i thought that was just how things were the car felt like it was slipping all over the road in all conditions even worse when the road was wet. i fish tailed at least 2 times over the years in what should of been normal conditions almost hit a guard rail once.

a couple of years ago i googled cooper tires and it is like a rash all over the internet people taking about loosing control on the highway, crashing etc... i decided next set of tires was anything but coopers.

nobody makes tires basically you have cooper, BFG, pirelli. pirelli tires are like 400$ a tire. BFGs are at least half that so the choice was made BFG... GOODYEAR will custom make you a tire but it is more expensive then pirelli.

anyway really didn't think much of the BFG tires when i purchased them until my very first drive. night and day is an understatement.

call me a basher of tires until you try another manufacturer you have no idea as for tires i'm sure there is something better then BFG maybe the next tire i will find out. least i won't die just driving around at 30mph.

as an example of the change in grip, i have a 3:00 rear and with the coopers stopping on it allowed the car to do burn outs;

nothing changed except for the BFG tires and the tires just churp a little and the car goes.

good luck

Back