BFG Radial T/A vs Cooper Cobra for smooth ride

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 10 years you probably should just go ahead and get a set of BFGs!
I can't justify throwing away a perfectly good set of tires with less than 1000 miles on them.

I have BFG’s. I think they have a classic look. Next best thing to the original Goodyear Polyglas GT. The Goodyear repo’s are now over $400 each, that’s crazy! If they weren’t so expensive I’d buy a set just because of the look.

I totally agree but like you I can’t see paying 400 a piece for a bias ply tire.
I even looked at buying some N 50’s 😊

And there's also the expense.

I've been running exclusively BFG Radial TA's on my '72 convertible since I first switched to them in the spring of 1991. I like the look and have no complaints about the ride quality. 215/65x15 front and 235/60x15 rear, on 15x7 Magnum 500 wheels.

I have Cooper Cobra 15’s . No complaints…rides nice, looks good, no concerns.

I have been running the BFG Radial T/As and happy with them. I've seen many cars running the Cooper Cobras, haven't heard anything really derogatory, save for wet weather handling by one of our members. The Cobra lettering tie-in on our Fords isn't lost on me, and likely a small reason for their purchase. The best I've ever had were the old Goodyear Eagle S/Ts, sadly not made any more, wish they were.
I am the original owner of a 73 Mach 1 and it came with Firestone tires. In later years I tried the Goodyear Eagle ST's and they were great too. I am now running BFG Radial T/A's and they have a softer ride but not as much grip as the Eagles. The BFG's are very popular among the others in my club. I didn't know the Eagles weren't made anymore. Too bad

Just an FYI - BFG is replacing the brown letter tires under warranty if they are DOT date coded between 0114 (1st week 2014 ) through 2520 (25th week 2020)

View attachment 89605

Thanks for the tip, that is a great channel, he mentions in the video results can vary, in my case since the tires were purchased by the previous owner even though I had the original purchase receipt they offered me 30% off which would be the same price as buying online, so hopefully if the brown letter issue has been fixed, will go with BFG's again since I like the way they look...also Tony has another video where he shows how you can use a oil based white sharpie to "paint" over the letters which worked great the first time, but a few months you have to do it again, it's a bit of a hassle though, would be nice to not have to do it every few months

I used to run the Cooper tires (235/60R15) on the factory Magnum 500 wheels and never had any issues with them. They had a comfortable ride and were quiet on the road. I've since switched to 17" wheels and General G-Max tires. There's a much better selection of tires in the 17" sizes.
thanks for the tip, was considering 17 inch magnums with many more options for better performance rated tires...I am more inclined over to the "show" than the "go" side of things

If things would've worked out properly, I would have BFGs on mine, but when I received my 245/60R15s from Summit with a 'back-order' tag for the 295/50R15s, I waited patiently for 6 months and finally went to Discount Tire for a set (same sizes) of Cooper Cobras, and that's what I've had on the car since Sep 2014.

Aside from the wording and tread pattern, if you squint a little, you really can't tell the difference between the BFGs and Cobras - appearance-wise. But, I just want BFGs, dammit.

I don't drive mine in the rain, so I can't say I've experienced any wet-traction issues. However, the fronts are doing the same brown lettering thing as the BFGs listed above. Nothing cleans them up except for 800-grit, and there's no avoiding it coming back after a period of time. It's too bad it's not the rears - I'd make it a point to burn 'em down every chance I get until it was time to replace.

View attachment 89664
I have 10 year old BFG’s and they still look like new. My concern with old tires is the rubber gets harder and can cause safety issues when having to make a quick stop. The rubber doesn’t necessarily get harder evenly per tire, so uneven grip in an emergency braking situation could throw you in to a spin, not to mention extending the stopping distance.
So far my tires seem to be okay but I need to test them again. When I bought my car it had some old tires on it but they looked good. I was on the freeway and a car stalled up ahead, I had to brake fairly hard but not as hard as possible, the brakes locked up unevenly, next thing I knew I was spinning around and ended up on the shoulder facing the wrong way. After that I realized the tires/brakes would lock up way too easy, even at slow speeds, and under hard acceleration they would spin very easy. I put new tires on and it changed everything.
Bottom line, with older tires, do a brake test periodically to ensure your car will stop safely.

I have always liked BF Goodrich tires, personally. I had a set of 245/60-14 Belted T/A's on my 73 Mach 1 back in 1981 (that's right I said BELTED T/A's, haha). I believe they had pretty much just come out when I purchased them and I have liked them ever since. I am planning to buy 15 x 8 Magnums and 245/60R15 Radial T/A's all around. I like the look of four thick meats on all four corners of our cars since back in the day. I run All Terrain T/A' on my 4x4's and Radial T/A's on my muscle cars. The only exception is my 69 Camaro, I bought re-pop Firestone Wide Oval radials on that, which were crazy expensive and don't ride particularly well, but they look cool at shows, LOL. I can't comment on the Coopers I have never had them, but one of my friends has them on his Chevelle and he likes them.

Attachments

• 73 Mach 1 2.jpg
    73 Mach 1 2.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 73 Mach 1 3.jpg
    73 Mach 1 3.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1969 Camaro  (511).jpg
    1969 Camaro (511).jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0
I would like to amend my previous comment Re: The economy, we have been gas lit that the economy is better than ever. There is not an honest economist out there that considers 20% inflation in less than 4 years a positive metric.

Ron
As of June 12, 2024, the annual inflation rate in the United States was 3.3% for the 12 months ending in May. Blame the fed for keeping interest rates too low for so long for the crazy bump in in inflation 2-3 years ago.

As of June 12, 2024, the annual inflation rate in the United States was 3.3% for the 12 months ending in May. Blame the fed for keeping interest rates too low for so long for the crazy bump in in inflation 2-3 years ago.
I was referring to overall compounded inflation beginning fiscal year 2021. The 20% average includes the CPI and PPI as the leading indicator. The overall high inflation numbers are an undeniable fact. Government overspending of imaginary money caused it. Economics 101.

Ron

Another economics 101, due to the compounding effect, a 3% inflation rate for 20 years means the prices will have doubled in 20 years. Not many people's income would also double, and certainly those on retirement/fixed income would not see their checks increase that much. A 3.3% inflation rate is not something to brag about.

Another economics 101, due to the compounding effect, a 3% inflation rate for 20 years means the prices will have doubled in 20 years. Not many people's income would also double, and certainly those on retirement/fixed income would not see their checks increase that much. A 3.3% inflation rate is not something to brag about.
I must have been in a good profession. I'm a retired engineer and my income easily doubled in 20 years. In fact, I received an 8.2% increase in 2023. 4 years of very hard work in school made that happen. If you want to talk inflation, look a tuition. I was paying under $800 a semester in the late '70s. It's $5500 per semester undergraduate now, in-state tuition.

What are your impressions of the M/T tires? Do they stick well on acceleration? Thanks Chuck
Mine are Sportsman S/T s. Basically radials. Good for all round driving, good treadlife. Love the look. I'm not an aggressive diver, so I can't comment on "handling" really. They never break loose, unless I want them to, but I don't street race. Probably no help. Sorry.

I've had a handfull of restored cars over the years, some with white lettered tires, some with white sidewalls, and also worked for a man who had a collection of bitchin' cars, that I was in charge of, and some of those had white sidewalls as well. All of these cars were either show cars, or show quality, and I've encountered yellowing and browning white lettering and sidewalls, and I've found two things that work well. One, is lacquer thinner , believe it or not, it works, just keep it on the white. Second, when washing the car's whitewalls or lettering, scrub the white with a Brillo pad or an SOS pad, those work well too.

Back