Crank Pulley Questions/suggestions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
OK. I no longer have AC and need to change out to a two groove pulley Vs the 3 groove. Couple questions on this....

Serpentine conversions look cool but can't drop that kind of cash.

Anyone have a stock two groove for sale? Shipped to 52403

I see some "underdrive" pulleys listed that claim x-tra horse power. I am not familiar with these. Will they work without replacing a bunch of other stuff? What effect will it have on the alt charging? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It doesn't hurt to have a 3 goove.

Underdrive will turn your accessories slower given the same Engine RPM. You might find your alternator doesn't charge well at idle. Also your water pump will be turning slower. If you were trying to shave tenths off your quarter mile times it might be worth it but for street driving I wouldn't go with an underdrive.

OK. I no longer have AC and need to change out to a two groove pulley Vs the 3 groove. Couple questions on this....

I see some "underdrive" pulleys listed that claim x-tra horse power. I am not familiar with these. Will they work without replacing a bunch of other stuff? What effect will it have on the alt charging? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 2 groove pulley from a 289-302, but I think it's for the waterpump, @ 6 1/4 inch diameter.

Thanks for the info Mike. The water pump was also a concern. I appreciate the info. I would rather switch to a 2 groove just for appearance sake in cleaning up the engine bay.

Danno. A two groove that attaches to the water pump? I need the crank pulley two groove for a 351C. I believe all three pulleys on my three groove are different sizes.

I have a collection of pulleys. PM me your phone number and I can pull them out tonight and we can match up what you need. I'm running underdrives and a high volume water pump and a 135 amp 1 wire ford alternator and my car cools well and charges phenomenally.

As a suggestion, you might look on Mustangtek.com under pulley's. There is a boat load listed for 351 crank pulley's. Good luck sorting through them all!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow. That's a lot of pulleys. Weird though all of the two groove pulleys for the 351c stop at 1972. The only one listed for 73 is a two groove. I would assume the 2 groove for 1972 would be the same as 1973??

Holy cow. That's a lot of pulleys. Weird though all of the two groove pulleys for the 351c stop at 1972. The only one listed for 73 is a two groove. I would assume the 2 groove for 1972 would be the same as 1973??
The double pulley I have on my car's crankshaft is not the original, but I got it from my engine shop guy, who said it was for a 351C with PS, when I added the power steering. It seems to be good, although I didn't check the number. The front step measures 8" diam. to the outside and I can't measure the PS step, but calculate it to be around 6 3/4" diam. to the outside. The water pump pulley is a single about 7" diam. and is the matching part. It is way deeper than the pulley I took off which was not for PS.

Hope that helps.

If you were closer I'd just give you one I have a heap of them hanging around the place. Another I've come across over the years is sometimes changing the crank pulley requires a matching waterpump pulley as well, as the alignment will be out of whack between them. All else fails there's some alloy ones made to suit the Cleveland also

Latest posts

Back