Crown Vic alloy wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarrior

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sportroof, original V8 gage a/c 3spd car that was very unloved

1971 convertible purchased from original owner
Needed to do a brake pad replacement on my dads '99 Crown Vic, and while waiting for rear pads to come in (not in stock? huh?), I decided to readjust the rear shoes on my car. And finally had time to try Crown Vic rims on the car. Fit is nice, no rubbing. I have searched for a while for info or pics of these installed on a 71-73, or any other year, Mustang and couldn't find anything.

Kind of reminds me of the wheels on this car...

While doing this I noted that the left side tire appears more forward in the wheel arch than the right side.

Something else to figure out. Glad I noted it as I was running out of things to do.

Now that I know there are no fit issues, I need to find a set out in the world.

Best,

Tom

They don't look half bad.

I like them. The issue with the rear wheel position could be as simple as an accumulation of factory production tolerances adding up to this but it could also be an alignment issue on the unit body.

I'd have someone look into that.

By the way, I love the Milano car.

Looks sharp! Love the old school traction bars! ::thumb::

I'll bet they'd fit perfectly with a Crown Vic rear disc brake set-up, too. ;) :D

I think if they could be spaced just a little bit more to the outside of the car, it would look a little better to me - just a slightly wider stance in the rear would look really cool. But, I like it!!

luxstang,

the Milano is a car I wish for more info on. Really neat looking.

Totalled,

yeah, when my folks were buying it, I positively suggested the suspension/performance upgrade. Really a plus on a car that large.

Boss1Ray,

unfortunately I have met up with 6 rims at the yards, and back then was unsure about the fit. Some said no-go, many said buy something cooler ($$$). Now will look seriously for 2 sets (2 cars).

Mister 4X4,

the rear axle in my car is a 9" from a 69 Cougar, and is therefore a little narrower. Noticeable with any 7" wide wheels and conservative tires, but with the change in axle width I hope I can put a little wider tire on the rim without getting into the fender lip.

Thx

Tom

Mister 4X4,

the rear axle in my car is a 9" from a 69 Cougar, and is therefore a little narrower. Noticeable with any 7" wide wheels and conservative tires, but with the change in axle width I hope I can put a little wider tire on the rim without getting into the fender lip.

Thx

Tom
Gotcha! ::thumb::

Just do lots of measuring, because regardless of where the mounting surface is located, about the widest tires [i believe] that have been stuffed into the rear wheel houses without any kind of tubbing are 315s - there's a finite distance between the frame rails and wheel opening lip.

I'm personally going with 295/50R-15s on 15x10s, and there will be "just enough" room for those, to my understanding of the experiences of others.

Sweet! I have a set of these wheels and just picked up a 73

Very sharp. Makes me think of the mag wire upgrades which were popular in the '70s (but never seemed to make it onto '71-73s).

As for the wheel placement - have you had an alignment check? Could be that your rear axle has been walking forward over your left leaf spring but not the right.

What's your VIN, if I may ask? That looks to be an early Sportsroof with the chrome trim across the hood and fenders at the windscreen, but I also see it on the doors. Is that stick-on aftermarket stuff, or do they look like genuine factory moldings? If they appear to be factory, post up some closeups!

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back