curses foiled again

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
At the statring line today getting ready to do my burnout the car died and would not restart. Had this proble yeaterday and thought it was fixed. I believe I have a voltage regulator or starter solenoid going out. Also I need to know how many wires are on the solenoid.

While in the staging lane I had to idle for a bit. The temp gets to about 200 degrees is when I have my problem. Battery is reading at 14.7v with the engine running. If anyone has had this problem please give me a shout.

Jim

IMG_0852.JPG

Probably something heat related, could be either electrical (like the coil) or fuel, (like vapor lock or a bad fuel pump/fuel line sucking air instead of fuel). 14.7 volts sounds right when the car is running. Another possibility is the battery, with a bad or shorting cell. When you said it wouldn't restart, would it crank over and just not fire, or not even turn over?

Don, the car would not do anything. The amp guage in the car was showing 10amps. Pony thanks for the pics. Looks like I'm wired ok. Thinking it might be the voltage regulator. Tomorrow will do some testing on it and hopefully be ready for next weekend.

Jim

at 200 on your temp gauge I also think vapor lock could be the issue. It happened to me when I got stuck in traffic. The car started heating up and when I slowed down it just died. Had a really hard time starting it again.

Don, the car would not do anything. The amp guage in the car was showing 10amps. Pony thanks for the pics. Looks like I'm wired ok. Thinking it might be the voltage regulator. Tomorrow will do some testing on it and hopefully be ready for next weekend.

Jim
If you were showing 14.7 bolts with the car running, and just 10 amps, makes me think that it might be a bad battery. How many volts do you have with the car not running? If you have more than 12.5 volts I would suspect the solenoid. Watch what happens to the voltage when you try to crank it. If the voltage drops down 2 volts or so, your solenoid is OK, might be the starter.

Hey I am new here, but I think I can tell you a cheap place to look for your problem.

The fusible link!

I had one in my car that did that intermittently a few times before I found that it had blown, been repaired poorly and would cut out for no apparent reason.

$5.00 and 5 minutes to do the repair right and never had another moments trouble with it.

and it is the right hand wire on the front of the solenoid that appears ion your picture to have had work before. Good luck

Back