dash j clips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
I replaced the dash pad on my mach. The original was only held on with the clips in the back. I read the post by Barry and the comments by Nance. Do the j clips go on the dash frame or the dash pad. I have been fighting this for two days now. I will post pics later when I get to the shop.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you taking about the 3 j clips that hold the rear of the dash board top down under the front windshield ?

Those 3 clips attach to the metal section of the dash top with the vin number, when installing the bottom of the j clips slide into dash board frame and hold the rear of the metal top down.

There should also be a foam pad around each clip to stop the metal on metal rattling.

Depending on if you have a 71-72 then the front of the dash top with the pad gets 2 long screws through the center panel, and 4 more screws held on with clips to the ends above the glove box and main instrument cluster.

The 73 used 2 more screws under the windshield to anchor the dash top.

Are you taking about the 3 j clips that hold the rear of the dash board top down under the front windshield ?

Those 3 clips attach to the metal section of the dash top with the vin number, when installing the bottom of the j clips slide into dash board frame and hold the rear of the metal top down.

There should also be a foam pad around each clip to stop the metal on metal rattling.

Depending on if you have a 71-72 then the front of the dash top with the pad gets 2 long screws through the center panel, and 4 more screws held on with clips to the ends above the glove box and main instrument cluster.

The 73 used 2 more screws under the windshield to anchor the dash top.
The ones I am asking about go in the froont above the clove box and above the guage cluster.Jim

Those are just c clips they hold around the metal on the front of the dash, then you run screws through the dash frame. I to the c clips and the whole thing gets sandwiched together.

Finally got the dash and dash pad in yesterday. Starting to look good. Only the center section left to go in. I'm hopeing to have my engine back tomorrow. Car should be back on the street by next week.

Jim

Back