early "71' only" dash pad

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
… my car is an early 71' grande with the one year grabber lime paint and white vinyl top. while it isnt some ultra rare shelby. it is still pretty unique. i enjoy the rare early 71' parts that it has. that others do not. besides this dash pad trim piece. it also has unique voltage regulator and dome light. also came with the one year only am radio with "mustang" printed on the front. as well as lots of original autolite parts through out. i have metal sport lamp sockets also. i didnt know they were unique to the early 71' also. cool.
Yes that is cool. It is crazy there are so many pieces that are unique to the ‘71 year model. I love grabber lime with a white top!

If it doesn’t have a part number, isn’t it, in Ford speak, considered a part of an assembly that has a part number? So, it wouldn’t be available at the Ford dealer’s parts counter even back in 1971. While it might be detachable from its assembly, Ford never considered it a unique, replaceable part. Do I have that right?

I just noticed this thread, and thought I'd help with the research with regard to how early is "early"..

Photos below are of my 1971 M-code convertible that my dad purchased back in 1980 as a mint original car. All we ever did to it was give it a fresh re-spray (lacquer, that was the "thing to do" back then) because the original owner was so obsessive he had waxed through the original paint to the point that primer was starting to show through. Rest of the car, right down to the carpeting, is original.

And even though this car's lived a pretty charmed indoor air-conditioned life, the molding on it is there, but it's pretty chalky and tired. It'd be a neat thing to reproduce, but finding an adequate sample would be the challenge.

Last, my car was built 11/12/1970.. So I'd still say "early", but I wouldn't go so far as to say "very early".

71convert-2 (2).jpg71dashmolding-1.jpg71dashmolding-2.jpg71dashmolding-3.jpg

If it doesn’t have a part number, isn’t it, in Ford speak, considered a part of an assembly that has a part number? So, it wouldn’t be available at the Ford dealer’s parts counter even back in 1971. While it might be detachable from its assembly, Ford never considered it a unique, replaceable part. Do I have that right?
i can agree that it is likely part of the dash pad and could probably be combined with the same part number as the dash pad. however, i do know that for what ever reason. ford stopped using this trim piece on their dash pads. it sure is being an elusive part to find. it wouldnt hurt to just install the dash pad without it. but, i am stubborn and want this piece. i wish i knew who made the part for ford. i would hit them up. people whom know about 3D printing dont seem to be interested in making me one.

I just noticed this thread, and thought I'd help with the research with regard to how early is "early"..

Photos below are of my 1971 M-code convertible that my dad purchased back in 1980 as a mint original car. All we ever did to it was give it a fresh re-spray (lacquer, that was the "thing to do" back then) because the original owner was so obsessive he had waxed through the original paint to the point that primer was starting to show through. Rest of the car, right down to the carpeting, is original.

And even though this car's lived a pretty charmed indoor air-conditioned life, the molding on it is there, but it's pretty chalky and tired. It'd be a neat thing to reproduce, but finding an adequate sample would be the challenge.

Last, my car was built 11/12/1970.. So I'd still say "early", but I wouldn't go so far as to say "very early".

View attachment 76105View attachment 76106View attachment 76107View attachment 76108
that is awesome to see that piece. that is what i am searching for. is there another smaller piece of edge trim under that trim ? kind of looks like it. amazing that the original dash isnt cracked. looks great. also, throw up a quick pic of your floor dimmer switch. what does it look like ?

Does this trim piece look like an extrusion (consistent profile and shape down the whole length), like a lot of weatherstrip?
If so, it may be easier to get reproduced than something that needs an injection mold.
How soft was it originally?

i can agree that it is likely part of the dash pad and could probably be combined with the same part number as the dash pad. however, i do know that for what ever reason. ford stopped using this trim piece on their dash pads. it sure is being an elusive part to find. it wouldnt hurt to just install the dash pad without it. but, i am stubborn and want this piece. i wish i knew who made the part for ford. i would hit them up. people whom know about 3D printing dont seem to be interested in making me one.

Goodyear was Ford's O.E. supplier for dash pads, and I'm betting they provided the molding... Without any engineering number on the back-side of it, it's a lost puppy I'm afraid.

Hey Rick,
With NPD's impressive Mustang collection at your disposal, I was hoping you saw this thread and had a '71 with this molding. That is a very nice original prime example of an early Mustang with the mystery molding. The sun was not kind to these types of parts on what were primarily daily drivers then. As you stated, the molding on your pampered, indoor air-conditioned example you have is showing signs of deterioration.
As I had posted earlier, some of the unique '71 early production pieces had "Not Used After" dates in the MPC, so you could reasonably determine if a particular part should be on your vehicle. For others, such as the chrome sport lamps, metal sport lamp sockets, and the woodgrain on the front section of the console, all quietly disappeared with no parades or balloons. These running changes can be difficult, if not impossible, to sort out on these 50+-year-old cars. Factor in that none of these vehicles were built in consecutive serial numbers, and it becomes a " Mission Impossible!"
Also, as I had posted earlier, an early 6/71 Fishe and the (5/75) final issue '65-72 MPC both still listed the "Includes mldg on the forward edge" and "Less mldg on the forward edge." This seems to indicate there was a slight difference on the leading forward edge of the padded dash that kept both versions in the parts system through 1975. In '76, the molding-included version was discontinued and replaced by the non-molding version. All '71-72 numbers were discontinued in '77 and replaced by 1973 D3ZZ numbers, except for the 71-72 dark green version.

The chance of getting any explanation for these types of differences and issues from any of the involved engineers has faded with the years. At one time, I had some great engineer/contact friends at Ford who were very knowledgeable and helpful with work-related and personal automotive questions that I would sneak in occasionally. Unfortunately, all are now retired since most of them had already been at Ford a while before I started at the dealership.

As I had posted before, every part of these vehicles belongs to the engineering department/team involved in their design. It's the engineer's decision on what parts were released for service. They also determine if an assembly or individual repair parts or sub-assemblies will be made available. Only then does the parts division start the process of assigning part numbers and cataloging them. That's why you will never see a part number permanently attached to any part, just ink stamps, wire tags, or mylar-type tapes for part numbering purposes. Only the Engineering ID numbers are permanently molded or cast into the part.
So it was ultimately the soft trim engineers that made the decision not to make the mystery padded dash molding available separately but as part of the padded dash assembly. So if you have an engineering number on a dash pad that has the molding, that ID number is the umbrella number for both pieces. The with and without versions did have different engineering ID numbers.

The problem now these many years later, if you could even contact Goodyear, is to find someone that is familiar with their OE-supplied parts program from that era. Since the molding was considered part of the padded dash and was manufactured to Ford specs, someone had to have the engineering data on that piece.
If Goodyear is like Ford, as they transitioned further into the computer-controlled world each year, all the original blueprints and supporting paper documents from the 60s and 70s became causalities of that progress!

We have an October 70 built M code convertible.

It has (had) this rear dash edge molding but it was just crumbles.

Also has the rear of fenders, rear of hood plastic chrome moldings.

The Marti report says it came with front and rear bumper guards. I would love to find those but I haven't even seen them in the real world.

I think they are also 71 only (?)

Fun!

The Marti report says it came with front and rear bumper guards. I would love to find those but I haven't even seen them in the real world.

Fun!
I saw two sets of front bumper guards on ebay recently. One set was NOS and $$$. The other set was used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1345162605...dVKMGCyHtMKZoYdd/lMDlpUw==|tkp:Bk9SR6q-0eX5YQ

Last edited:

Fun!

With a 3D-capable manufacturer requiring at least a 10K piece run, I don't foresee these mystery padded dash moldings being offered on the market anytime soon. And good example moldings to pattern from are pretty rare.

As Hemikiller posted, two different front bumper guards are used on the '71 Mustang. The Protection group option includes a low-mount front bumper guard (runs from bumper to valance) and vinyl insert body side moldings. (N/A on Mach 1 or Boss 351) The valance level lower guards were only available in '71 and were not carried over into '72. This is a $45.00 option unless your vehicle was already equipped with the standard height front and rear bumper guard option. It then only included the vinyl insert body side molding for $34.00
The $31.00 "Bumper Guard" option included front (standard height) and rear bumper guards for all models except Mach1.

The Marti report is a great piece of documentation to process for our cars. There have been a few inaccurate listings some members have found in the "Your Vehicle Was Equipped With The Following Features." The Marti report is not a Ford-generated document like the Eminger report (the actual Ford to-dealer invoice). I tell everyone that it didn't leave the factory with it if it's not listed on the Eminger report/Ford invoice.

Once you determine which style of guards your vehicle was equipped with, you can search by the following numbers for the individual guards.
If you decide to install all the front and rear standard height guards, contact me, and I can provide you with some additional info.

D1ZZ-17996-A (Used on L&R) '71 only lower valance level front bumper guards

D1ZZ-17996-B (R/S) Standard height front bumper guard (71-72)
D1ZZ-17997-A (L/S) Standard height front bumper guard (71-72)

D1ZZ-17984-A (Used on L&R) Standard height rear bumper guards (71-72)

Had a look at mine this weekend. It has the remains of that dash pad trim strip...flaky and dry. This is on a Nov 70 build. I'll get the actual build date later. Might be possible to narrow down the cut off date.

Mine is a 12/7/70 build and I can't see a trim strip or mark. However, I am very confident that the dash pad has been replaced prior to my ownership so this piece of information is useles.
PS edit: to clarify what I meant as useless is my own observation that my car doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Hello smarty pants, I never considered my 11/20/70 built 1971 Convertible an early example. I've had a carpeted dash cover on my car since the 80's and I took it off to be cleaned, low and behold there's the mystery molding on my dash. Nice and soft, no cracks at all. I thought I remember seeing that molding when I purchased my car in 1987 but it had slipped my mind being under that dash pad cover!

Attachments

• IMG_3148.JPG
    IMG_3148.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3149.JPG
    IMG_3149.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3150.JPG
    IMG_3150.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Hello smarty pants, I never considered my 11/20/70 built 1971 Convertible an early example. I've had a carpeted dash cover on my car since the 80's and I took it off to be cleaned, low and behold there's the mystery molding on my dash. Nice and soft, no cracks at all. I thought I remember seeing that molding when I purchased my car in 1987 but it had slipped my mind being under that dash pad cover!
wow, that is cool. not many cars have that part. go ahead and take it off and sent it to me. ill send you $5.

That's internet whispering....

Back