Difference in parts quality?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraJet351

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 351cj, toploader, 3.5 gears, all factory options.
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question I need to know.

Is there any difference in quality between the top parts suppliers such as NPD, Ohio, Mustangunlimited...etc...? Or do they all source their parts from the same place?

Cheers and thanks.

For some of the parts there are multiple manufacturers and quality differences

For some of the parts there is one manufacturer and other manufacturers buy it and put their name on the package.

For a lot of the parts it is one manufacturer that everyone buys from.

The difference isn't in the parts so much but in who you are dealing with. Don knows these cars and cares about and helps his customers. He is not just an order taker. Don has made several posts here giving his frank opinion about the relative quality and fitment of different parts and nothing I've seen has been sugar coated.

Sounds fair, this forum is great and very helpful.

I'll be sending through a list of parts I need to OMS for a quote asap.

Cheers.

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question I need to know.

Is there any difference in quality between the top parts suppliers such as NPD, Ohio, Mustangunlimited...etc...? Or do they all source their parts from the same place?

Cheers and thanks.
I did the same thing in comparing prices and customer service. My transaction with CJ Pony is still in progress so I cannot 100% speak or confirm about quality of parts and services. However, the 15% savings that CJ offers every now and then is insane and especially when placing a huge order and customer service has been excellent so far. Not to mention, no handling fees and free shipping within the lower 48 States even with heavy oversized items like leaf springs. No one ships leaf springs for free, but CJ's. And, how's this for customer service? I continue to recieved emails and phone calls to update me with the status of my order, now that's just perfect in my books and makes you feel like you're getting the personal attention. Great group of guys and easy to talk to...so far :D Good luck with your order!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don (OMS) has always treated me well and I have ordered a ton from him. Always done exactly what he says he will do. I have not had a single issue yet that has not been met with more than reasonable results.

I used NPD, Mustangs Unlimited and OMS for parts on my 71.

NPD filled a $3000 order for me with oddball color interior parts (medium blue) with only three minor items not in stock. Never had any problems with them in the past 20 years either. Prices are a little higher but the quality of service is top notch.

OMS is very responsive and ships quickly. Excellent service, great prices and the parts are there when you need them.

MU is a bunch of bumbling idiots. They have screwed up several orders on me, wrong color, damaged parts, etc. If I didn't live only 45 minutes away, I would never do business with them.

I bought most of my parts from CJ's, but mainly because I drove there to do a major list before they started doing the free shipping. Don at OMS is great to deal with! I did not buy as much from Don, but was satisfied with what I received. I bought my exhaust from NPD back in 2005. I ordered a single exhaust for my L code, but when I opened the box it was s dual system. Sent it back at there expense and the shipped a new one out right away, but it was the same problem, so had to ship it back. They finally figured out the manufacturer marked the boxes with the wrong part number. Three times was a charm.

Back