Dim Dashboard lights, causes. . . .

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
Dim lights are a problem with multiple causes

Here are 5 step I guarantee will cure someone's problem!

1) the blue plastic filters get opaque with age

Solution

remove them and your lights become whiter, but easier to see

2) the headlight switch feeds voltage to the lights and as it ages it increases resistance greatly

Solution

Replace it can be done in 20 minutes and costs under 30 bucks. Your lights will get a brighter most of the time

3) alternators that simply do not put out modern day voltage levels and wiring that lacks relays and carries current too far.

Solution

As I alluded before, the headlight switch is a bottleneck and the dimming function really gets burned up and weakened over the years. Once you replace it the cycle starts over unless you make a change. The change is this-add relays and wiring to allow electricity the shortest path to the high current drawing items in the lighting circuit. Start with the headlights using this harness or make your own

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UPD-34263/

4) Bad circuit overlay-if the car has been apart a lot, these can fail. The Instrument Voltage regulator has nothing to do with the dashlights, so don't change it thinking it will help.

Solution

You can get new circuits, or try gently cleaning off any corrosion.

5) Go to Led's for increased brightness and unique color effects. I believe you have to leave one bulb in the circuit a standard incandescent so the dimming function will still work, and the turn signal indicator bulbs remain incandescent as well to preserve proper function of the flasher relay and all warning lights remain incandescent.

Oh and of note on that guarantee, these directions cured my problem so they will definitely work for someone ;)

I've found removing my sunglasses is also very effective...

Another detail that makes a huge difference is the one I posted a while back here:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-dark-instrument-lights?pid=11817#pid11817

It´s about painting the inside of the cluster and especially the back of the black rings that go around the face of the gauges. The flaw with the original design is that a black surface is supposed to reflect the light from the back of the cluster to the gauge face.

Check the link above for details.

Back