Light sockets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
I replaced the notoriously dim instrument lights with Superbright LEDs.  Wow !!  Major improvement.

However, the lights that illuminate the switches for Headlights, Wipers and Cigar Lighter have the wrong polarity for LEDs (it doesn't matter for incandescent filiment bulbs).   

I need to know the part number and where I can get 3 new light sockets.  I have to change the wire polarity so that means new sockets.

They must have wired the old girl on a Friday at quitting time.

Roy

I replaced the notoriously dim instrument lights with Superbright LEDs.  Wow !!  Major improvement.

However, the lights that illuminate the switches for Headlights, Wipers and Cigar Lighter have the wrong polarity for LEDs (it doesn't matter for incandescent filiment bulbs).   

I need to know the part number and where I can get 3 new light sockets.  I have to change the wire polarity so that means new sockets.

Roy
Roy,

You can get LED bulbs that will work either way. That may be a better option than changing the sockets. This company sells them for our cars... https://www.hipoparts.com/non-polarized-ultra-bright-1-smd-3-led-bulb-ba9s-base-super-wide-angle/

These LED (SMD) bulbs are specially made to be non-polarized. They will light even when presented with reversed current.  They have a built in bridge rectifier that automatically detects the current and ensures that diodes receive the current flow in the correct direction.

you can find them on e bay also  you need non polarity or revers polarity bulbs  altho the ones i got did not give a bright illumination the sockets do not have a very large hole for the light to shine through (its like indirect lighting )  you can also just reverse the   the wire leads on the socket

Why not just rewire the sockets?
Easier said than done: the two connectors inside the sockets are very different, so you'd end up cutting and splicing them back after swapping wires.  Then you have to do this 3 times. 

All of these three bulbs have the ground at the center contact and power at the side contact for the 1895 bulbs.  I agree that it is far superior to simply get non-polarized LED lamps.

Also, don't forget that you must use an incandescent bulb for the alternator indicator lamp; otherwise your charging system may not work.

Which ones did you get if I may ask?
Hi Vinnie;

I replaced the instrument cluster backlights, heater control and gear shift indicator with SuperBright LEDs .

P/N 194-CWHP5, minature wedge retrofit--cool white.

I also R&R the gear shift indicator with BA9S-BHP5- Blue

This made for a beautiful display.   Now I have to get the sockets to make the switch lights working.

upload image from mobile

Which ones did you get if I may ask?
Hi Vinnie;

I replaced the instrument cluster backlights, heater control and gear shift indicator with SuperBright LEDs .

P/N 194-CWHP5, minature wedge retrofit--cool white.

I also R&R the gear shift indicator with BA9S-BHP5- Blue

This made for a beautiful display.   Now I have to get the sockets to make the switch lights working.

Yes very nice, but did you ever consider upgrading your idiot light with a Rocketman tach conversion? I did this and it looks and works great. I think the web address is www.rccinnovations.com If not Bob has an ad at the bottom below the tech forum if I'm not mistaken. Please do NOT forget to use an incandescent 194 bulb in the alt socket as has been explained many times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent Idea.  That will be considerably easier than redoing the sockets.  I didn't even know that there were any non-polarized bulbs. 

TNX.
Roy,

You can get LED bulbs that will work either way. That may be a better option than changing the sockets. This company sells them for our cars... https://www.hipoparts.com/non-polarized-ultra-bright-1-smd-3-led-bulb-ba9s-base-super-wide-angle/

These LED (SMD) bulbs are specially made to be non-polarized. They will light even when presented with reversed current.  They have a built in bridge rectifier that automatically detects the current and ensures that diodes receive the current flow in the correct direction.

Easier said than done: the two connectors inside the sockets are very different, so you'd end up cutting and splicing them back after swapping wires.  Then you have to do this 3 times. 

All of these three bulbs have the ground at the center contact and power at the side contact for the 1895 bulbs.  I agree that it is far superior to simply get non-polarized LED lamps.

Also, don't forget that you must use an incandescent bulb for the alternator indicator lamp; otherwise your charging system may not work.
Wow !!!  Glad you mentioned that about the alternator indicator.  I am keeping the 4 red warning indicators the stock incandescent but I would not have guesed that changing them would cause in not to charge.  TNX

Wow !!!  Glad you mentioned that about the alternator indicator.  I am keeping the 4 red warning indicators the stock incandescent but I would not have guesed that changing them would cause in not to charge.  TNX
Only the alternator indicator lamp must be incandescent; the others can be LEDs.

Roy
Roy,

Hi Rackerm;

You were right.  They do indeed make non-polarity sensitive LEDs.  I should have gone with the place you recommended.  I went back to SuperBrite and got 3 Non-pol whites but P/N BA9SF-W-12VAC is very dim.  no brighter than the original filament ones.  So this time I aqm going to the place you recommended.

I also R&R the sidelights to LEDs.  WOW !!!!

I will attach a pix.

TNX, mate

Roy

Well maybe you can save before the sale ends in December !!

Applied at 'Checkout" online at hipoparts.com You can use discount code: HOLIDAY17 to receive 20% off all items (except Delphi Products - basically GM connectors) Discount is on product total ........NOT SHIPPING.

https://www.hipoparts.com/led-bulbs-gauge-light-kits/

Last edited by a moderator:

Applied at 'Checkout" online at hipoparts.com You can use discount code: HOLIDAY17 to receive 20% off all items (except Delphi Products - basically GM connectors)        Discount is on product total ........NOT SHIPPING.

Mark, yes indeed buy from Bill at Hi-Po parts, great guy and very helpful to work with. I now have every confidence with his recommendations as my upgrade looks just the way I wanted it to. AWESOME!!

Geoff.

Applied at 'Checkout" online at hipoparts.com You can use discount code: HOLIDAY17 to receive 20% off all items (except Delphi Products - basically GM connectors)        Discount is on product total ........NOT SHIPPING.

Mark, yes indeed buy from Bill at Hi-Po parts, great guy and very helpful to work with. I now have every confidence with his recommendations as my upgrade looks just the way I wanted it to. AWESOME!!

Geoff.
It doesn't hurt that this is a USA company, employing people in MI AND that he is a 1971 owner (has had over 40 71-73 cars in the past) !  LOL     Mark P.S.  I need to research vendor area to be a "good citizen"!  (want to respect both forum and other vendors)

Geoff.
It doesn't hurt that this is a USA company, employing people in MI AND that he is a 1971 owner (has had over 40 71-73 cars in the past) !  LOL     Mark P.S.  I need to research vendor area to be a "good citizen"!  (want to respect both forum and other vendors)
 Mark, totally agree. I have no doubt that ALL vendors available to us on the forum are indeed top-notch, so this experience with just one of them in no way reflects negatively on the others. All my past purchasing with other vendors has been exemplary.

Geoff.

By the way, I'm envious of one of Bill's Mustangs, won't say which one though!!

Latest posts

Back