Dist trouble

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conner

Reaction score
My Car
Hi everyone, first time posting. I'm 22 and have a 72 mustang that I installed a 460 in. I replaced the intake and putting dist back in has proven impossible. I'm thinking the pump rod came out when I pulled dist and is now sitting on the dist housing outside of its hole. There is a ring on top to prevent the rod from coming out with dist, so I can't take it out from the top and reinstall rod, any suggestions? I've tried magnet, just can't seem to line it up right. Which side would the hole be on if I'm looking from front of car? I can't remember from when I put it in. Any advice appreciated!

You should be able to look into the hole and see the hex-shaped oil pump drive shaft. The shaft should have had a retaining washer on it that prevents the shaft from coming out with the distributor (see picture). You may need to reach into the distributor hole with a long nut driver and turn the shaft for the distributor to drop in. If you use a socket and extension, tape them together so you don't inadvertently drop the socket in your engine.
1708372581297.png

I doubt the rod came out - most likely it's just in a spot where it needs to be turned a smidge. Put a little grease on the end of the distributor and the try pushing down firmly to see if the shaft won't turn and seat. You can pick up an oil pump primer shaft from your local auto store and use it to turn the shaft in the pump some and try reinstalling the distributor again. Here one on Autozone but you can find them cheaper at other stores. Well worth having on hand.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...34545_0_0?searchText=ford+oil+pump+drive+tool

You should be able to look into the hole and see the hex-shaped oil pump drive shaft. The shaft should have had a retaining washer on it that prevents the shaft from coming out with the distributor (see picture). You may need to reach into the distributor hole with a long nut driver and turn the shaft for the distributor to drop in. If you use a socket and extension, tape them together so you don't inadvertently drop the socket in your engine.
View attachment 85880
Yup, I can see the hex shaped shaft, is is supposed to easily move? Because it easily moves and hits all sides when I move it with screwdriver. Retaining washer is there. I've turned it with a taped socket and extension and still no luck, I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

I doubt the rod came out - most likely it's just in a spot where it needs to be turned a smidge. Put a little grease on the end of the distributor and the try pushing down firmly to see if the shaft won't turn and seat. You can pick up an oil pump primer shaft from your local auto store and use it to turn the shaft in the pump some and try reinstalling the distributor again. Here one on Autozone but you can find them cheaper at other stores. Well worth having on hand.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...34545_0_0?searchText=ford+oil+pump+drive+tool
I've tried turning it with a socket/extension and dist still does not sit down all the way

Some pics

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4393.jpeg
    IMG_4393.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 2
The end of the OP driveshaft is tapered and the socket in the end of the distributor should have a matching taper on it to help the shaft find the socket in the end of the distributor. Sometimes you have to gently push the distributor down while rotating the engine to get the hexes to line up.

So that distrubitor was in the engine and seated fine before the intake swap?

The end of the OP driveshaft is tapered and the socket in the end of the distributor should have a matching taper on it to help the shaft find the socket in the end of the distributor. Sometimes you have to gently push the distributor down while rotating the engine to get the hexes to line up.

So that distrubitor was in the engine and seated fine before the intake swap?
Yep this is the exact same dist, and new intake is not in the way or anything like that. I can feel it go in the hole where the op shaft sticks out of but it won't go down further, not sure if it isnt getting onto the hex or what...i've tried a billion times, rotated engine by hand, bumped starter, rotated shaft with socket, lubed up socket/end of dist, nothing.

Some pics
From your pictures it looks like the pump shaft is resting against the side of the boss. Looks like you are just dead heading against the top of the shaft. I would try to use a long screw driver to try to get the shaft more centered. If needed, you could try using a little piece of bread (I know it sounds crazy) to wedge in to hold it off the side. The bread will dissolve and won't hurt anything.

There are a couple of ways I have addressed this. I have taped a 1/4" drive deep socket to a long extension (same setup I use with a drill to prime the oiling system) and turn the shaft just a tiny bit. We're talking 1/12th of a turn. I've had to do that 3-4 times to get the distributor to drop in.

The other is with a remote start button on the starter solenoid. Put the distributor so it ends up where you want the rotor to be with the distributor fully inserted. That means backing it up a tooth or two from #1 when it won't drop in. Then, bump the remote start button while putting light pressure on the distributor. Then bump it back to compression TDC on #1 to see if the rotor is where you want it. I mark the distributor housing to show where #1 needs to be. I also mark TDC on the balancer with white-out or fluorescent yellow/orange paint marker so it's easy to see when timing the engine. You can bump the engine over until you're close to TDC on the timing mark, and check the rotor position.

Last edited:
Back