distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quizno

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang 351 Cleveland 2v
I have a 73 with a 351 Cleveland and engine cranks and runs decent but the vacuum advance on the distributor is turned hard into the top radiator hose...is there something im missing? Just getting back into the groove and seems I have forgotten a lot. Any help would be appreciated.thanks

I would also like to know where the rotor is supposed to point to I am used to it pointing at the number one cylinder on chevys I don't see it marked on the cap engine is out of the car newly rebuilt the balencer is at tdc plugs are out piston is on tdc both rocker arms are stationary on number 1 and the crank and cam gears are aligned up trying to figure out if I am 180 off with rotor

I have a 73 with a 351 Cleveland and engine cranks and runs decent but the vacuum advance on the distributor is turned hard into the top radiator hose...is there something im missing? Just getting back into the groove and seems I have forgotten a lot. Any help would be appreciated.thanks
The distributor has probably been installed with the teeth on the distributor gear a tooth or 2 off. This diagram shows the approximate correct position.

Distributor position.JPG

Don,

Thanks for posting that chart. Never was able to definitively determine correct position for rotor to point as well as where number one plug wire should go on cap.

The distributor has probably been installed with the teeth on the distributor gear a tooth or 2 off. This diagram shows the approximate correct position.

ive pulled up number1 piston to tdc and rotor button is pointing to 1 on the cap....timing pointer if near (as I can tell) the tdc mark on the harmonic balancer. this is correct right?

ive pulled up number1 piston to tdc and rotor button is pointing to 1 on the cap....timing pointer if near (as I can tell) the tdc mark on the harmonic balancer. this is correct right?
Yes, that is the correct way to start. However, if your distributor gear is off by a few teeth the distributor housing will be clocked in the wrong position. When installing the distributor start with it in the position you want it to wind up in, with the rotor pointing to #1. The rotor will turn as you install the distributor and you'll have to pull it back out and turn the rotor and try again, until it is where you want it. And, you have to get the oil pump shaft to engage at the same time, sometimes wiggling the rotor back and forth works, sometimes you have to turn the crankshaft a little, and sometimes you have to turn the oil pump drive a little.

To gain a bit more clockwise movement of the dizzy, simply rotate the dizzy counterclockwise one plug's worth, and then pull the wires off and rotate them clockwise. You'll probably have to retime the dizzy.

For example, if the rotor is pointing at #1 and #8 is clockwise (number may not be right) from #1, simply rotate the #8 position to where #1 was, and then rotate the wires one by one putting #1 into #8, #8 into the next wire, etc.

One other thing to watch look for is the oil pump shaft has a habit of leaning to one side in the bore once disengaged from the distributor..If this happens jack the car on the side its leaning to let gravity center it for you..You may also have to put some Vaseline around the shaft in the bore to keep it centered..put the Vaseline in the freezer before use works much better..I've had to do this a few times on 351C's

One other thing to watch look for is the oil pump shaft has a habit of leaning to one side in the bore once disengaged from the distributor..If this happens jack the car on the side its leaning to let gravity center it for you..You may also have to put some Vaseline around the shaft in the bore to keep it centered..put the Vaseline in the freezer before use works much better..I've had to do this a few times on 351C's
thanks

To gain a bit more clockwise movement of the dizzy, simply rotate the dizzy counterclockwise one plug's worth, and then pull the wires off and rotate them clockwise. You'll probably have to retime the dizzy.

For example, if the rotor is pointing at #1 and #8 is clockwise (number may not be right) from #1, simply rotate the #8 position to where #1 was, and then rotate the wires one by one putting #1 into #8, #8 into the next wire, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back