Door panel manufacturer suggestions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1971 convertible
Looking to put the interior color back to factory ginger color any recommendations on who to use for fit and color match. Mustang market is no longer running the ginger color. Anyone have any good experiences

Looking to put the interior color back to factory ginger color any recommendations on who to use for fit and color match. Mustang market is no longer running the ginger color. Anyone have any good experiences
I just got most of my interior ginger renewed this last spring. The Mustang Shop in Canada uses TMI and the seats and Deluxe door skins are very close to original. There is an excellent post on this site with regards to dye and spray paints to match the three colors stock. Its in the convertable section and was written 2018 but very well done with pics and comparisons. Only thing I need to find, if you run into a post ,is brand to match rear side panels to back of seats color. new replacement panels only available in Black molded plastic.good luck and looking forward to pics of progress.

Ginger is tough, because the vinyl is "antiqued", which is really tough to replicate to original...

TMI does indeed make the best quality 71-73 deluxe door panels on the market. The quality and crispness of the panel is superb. The only issue I can take with it is that the antiquing is more "blotchy" than original. I'll post photos below, both of the TMI Ginger panels, and the mint original panels on my personal M-code '71 convertible.

But on the brighter side of things, the TMI door panels match the TMI seat upholstery perfectly, because it's the same vinyl used, same "a bit too blotchy compared to original" dynamic. So it'll all match properly.

The only other option would be to try Distinctive upholstery (I do not have a Distinctive sample ring, and we do not stock/carry Distinctive 70-73 Ginger), and potentially pair those up with the Dashes Direct door panels, which I do not feel are as nice as the TMI panels, but they're plenty nice on their own merits. They claim to have a "very correct" Ginger, but they dye it. We sell these panels, but only on a special-order basis, so I have no way to inspect or photograph, and they've never provided us pictures.

You could always try requesting a vinyl sample from Distinctive. Requesting a sample from Dashes Direct, considering that they dye the vinyl, I don't know if they'd be able to provide that (or be WILLING to provide it).

So that could be a rabbit hole. Again, TMI is very nice quality, if you're o.k. with the slightly-more-blotchy antiquing throughout the interior.

Rick
NPD

Photo # 1 is TMI door panel
#2 is TMI upholstery
#'s 3-5 are my original door panels

image000001.jpgimage000000.jpgimage000003.jpgimage000004.jpgimage000005.jpg

A non-helpful post, but just wanted to say this Ginger interior color by Ford was a beautiful option. Maybe it's just me, as I also like green interiors. ha My '71 Mach 1 has a black interior but the color is broken up by the Comfortweave seats, which again was another great Ford innovation back in the day.

Ginger is tough, because the vinyl is "antiqued", which is really tough to replicate to original...

TMI does indeed make the best quality 71-73 deluxe door panels on the market. The quality and crispness of the panel is superb. The only issue I can take with it is that the antiquing is more "blotchy" than original. I'll post photos below, both of the TMI Ginger panels, and the mint original panels on my personal M-code '71 convertible.

But on the brighter side of things, the TMI door panels match the TMI seat upholstery perfectly, because it's the same vinyl used, same "a bit too blotchy compared to original" dynamic. So it'll all match properly.

The only other option would be to try Distinctive upholstery (I do not have a Distinctive sample ring, and we do not stock/carry Distinctive 70-73 Ginger), and potentially pair those up with the Dashes Direct door panels, which I do not feel are as nice as the TMI panels, but they're plenty nice on their own merits. They claim to have a "very correct" Ginger, but they dye it. We sell these panels, but only on a special-order basis, so I have no way to inspect or photograph, and they've never provided us pictures.

You could always try requesting a vinyl sample from Distinctive. Requesting a sample from Dashes Direct, considering that they dye the vinyl, I don't know if they'd be able to provide that (or be WILLING to provide it).

So that could be a rabbit hole. Again, TMI is very nice quality, if you're o.k. with the slightly-more-blotchy antiquing throughout the interior.

Rick
NPD

#2 is TMI upholstery

View attachment 91338View attachment 91339View attachment 91340View attachment 91341View attachment 91342

The TMI is a much better match to the original than the other ginger door panels I've seen. I don't know who made them, but the "repeat" on the pattern was to close, and it just looked really odd.

Rick
NPD

#2 is TMI upholstery

View attachment 91338View attachment 91339View attachment 91340View attachment 91341View attachment 91342
Hello, was looking up info on Ginger interior as I'm going to change my interior color. I seen this and your door panels look great. The images on the TMI website for ginger look like a dark solid brown. I just wonder if they are the same as what you have ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240829_135914_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240829_135914_Chrome.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 0
Hello, was looking up info on Ginger interior as I'm going to change my interior color. I seen this and your door panels look great. The images on the TMI website for ginger look like a dark solid brown. I just wonder if they are the same as what you have ?

They are the same, disregard TMI's images... The images on the TMI website are just a confluence of digital photography variables combined with bad/poor post-photo editing. A digital mess/mirage.

To all, please know and remember, you cannot trust ANYTHING you see on a phone or a tablet or a computer screen when it involves accurate color representation. From the type of camera, the camera's default settings, any custom settings the user might have set, to the lighting (warm, cold, indoor, natural, fluorescent, LED, incandescent), any post-photo editing/tweaking, photoshopping, and then accuracy of your screen calibrations (professional graphic artists actually calibrate their screens to a pantone-benchmarked standard), and on and on.

What you see on your device is NOT REAL. Usually, not even close.

This is an extreme case (TMI's brown portrayal of Ginger door panels), but I'm just using this as an opportunity to remind everyone that the colors you see on the screen are never what they are in-person, except for occasional random luck LOL... ;)

Rick
NPD

They are the same, disregard TMI's images... The images on the TMI website are just a confluence of digital photography variables combined with bad/poor post-photo editing. A digital mess/mirage.

To all, please know and remember, you cannot trust ANYTHING you see on a phone or a tablet or a computer screen when it involves accurate color representation. From the type of camera, the camera's default settings, any custom settings the user might have set, to the lighting (warm, cold, indoor, natural, fluorescent, LED, incandescent), any post-photo editing/tweaking, photoshopping, and then accuracy of your screen calibrations (professional graphic artists actually calibrate their screens to a pantone-benchmarked standard), and on and on.

What you see on your device is NOT REAL. Usually, not even close.

This is an extreme case (TMI's brown portrayal of Ginger door panels), but I'm just using this as an opportunity to remind everyone that the colors you see on the screen are never what they are in-person, except for occasional random luck LOL... ;)

Rick
NPD
I think most of us can attest to this.

I would contact SMS in Oregon to see if they have that color. A couple of weeks ago they produced the original cloth insert for my 1971 Fastback and sent it to TMI in California to sew the cloth into the vinyl. I figured it would take a longtime for the whole process but it was done in no time. I highly recommend both companies for anything the vendors don't carry in stock. This is the second time that TMI has done this sort of request for me. Both companies SMS and TMI are nice to work with and will accommodate almost any requests you have. Thx, Bill

I was looking at Mustang Market located in Virginia.
They say that these door panels are Ford Licensed and MCA approved.
I hate thinking about dropping a Grand on door panels
and they not fit correctly.
I'm looking for vermilion red interior.
Figured it will take another 20 years before anybody decides to make parts for our cars.

Figured it will take another 20 years before anybody decides to make parts for our cars.
I have had Mustang Market door panels on my car for a couple decades now. They are nice and fit well, though they take some time a nerve to do all the necessary trimming and fitting around the door release opening to get the door release trim piece to fit.
One member on here some time back had trouble with the vermilion color matching the rest of his interior, so you may want to get a sample from them before pulling the trigger.

MCA dropped their approval program prior to 2000!

I have had Mustang Market door panels on my car for a couple decades now. They are nice and fit well, though they take some time a nerve to do all the necessary trimming and fitting around the door release opening to get the door release trim piece to fit.
One member on here some time back had trouble with the vermilion color matching the rest of his interior, so you may want to get a sample from them before pulling the trigger.
Yep Sheriff is correct. Good memory :)
The vermillion dyed mustang market panel does NOT match the factory vermillion color at all. Made me sick to think I had panels that would not match the rest of the interior. I ended up having mad vinyl spray can dye to match the door panels then spraying the rest of my interior to match the door panels. Made me sick and very pissed off. Mustang market wouldnt do anything about it.
Also another key note.... They are NOT a solid color they are a white panel dyed vermillion red. I honestly think they get a TMI white panel and dye it vermillion. Might as well buy white from tmi and dye it yourself.

Yep Sheriff is correct. Good memory :)
The vermillion dyed mustang market panel does NOT match the factory vermillion color at all. Made me sick to think I had panels that would not match the rest of the interior. I ended up having mad vinyl spray can dye to match the door panels then spraying the rest of my interior to match the door panels. Made me sick and very pissed off. Mustang market wouldnt do anything about it.
Also another key note.... They are NOT a solid color they are a white panel dyed vermillion red. I honestly think they get a TMI white panel and dye it vermillion. Might as well buy white from tmi and dye it yourself.
My 1971 Fastback is also vermillion but my door panels look great.
It's a shame that I couldn't say the same for all my seats. I was able to purchase the cloth insert by the yard from SMS in Oregon who sent the material to TMI in California to sew it into the vermillion vinyl for duplicating my 55 year old seats and they look fantastic. I forgot to check to see if the vinyl matched my door panels though. SMS is a go to place for any year and make of cloth. They will also reproduce door panels, headliners and many other products for our old cars.

As Midlife accurately stated, there's been no "MCA Approved" program in place for over 2 decades now. Bob Perkins was the last person to be in charge of it, and it had become a real political mess. They decided it was best to just abandon the idea.

Secondly, a pair of door panels DOES NOT REQUIRE Ford Licensing. There's no Ford trademark involved with these door panels. So unless Mustang Market just arbitrarily enjoys forking 10% of every sale over to Ford, for a non-required and non-necessary license, I would also seriously question that claim.

This isn't a dig against Mustang Market, because they are licensed for their stripe kits and other things that involve Ford's registered trademarks. It's just that door panels are not one of those.

Latest posts

Back