Drums Stuck... Direction for adjuster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1. Originally 2V but going 4V soon!
So I'm guessing it should be the opposite direction for each side to loosen the brake pads to get the drum off. Anyone do these lately and recall. Maybe drivers side the adjuster needs to spin downward and the passenger it needs to spin upward. Was told there a stop keeping it from loosing adjustment and that needs to be released with a small screewriver.

Any hints. It feels solid and probably has a lip on the drum.

Thanks

"Down," I believe (not entirely 100% sure).

If it's not "Down," then whichever direction ("Up" being the other) on one will work on the other because of the reverse threads on one of the adjusters (that's how the mechanical adjusters do it).

Last edited by a moderator:
the self adjustor sits on top of the adjusting wheel, as it moves down, it adjusts the shoes out. So, push the adjustor back and move the tool (and your hand holding it) toward the axle to loosen.

I spray them with penetrating oil and let them soak.

As you work the brake spoon tool (or screwdriver) upwards or downwards against the gear, you'll know real soon if you have the right direction. Either the drum gets loose or it locks up tight.

when i converted and took off those drums one last time, i spent hours and frustration with them. the last time i set them up, i set them tight so they will perform better so that bit me in the butt obviously.

i bought an 18 inch nail pry bar thats shaped like a crooked 7 and went to town on it. and when it finally came, i chucked it into the grass releasing my frustration.

If you have no luck with the adjuster and you plan on replacing the brake shoes anyway try spraying a lot of WD 40 or equilvilent into the brake drum, the use the BFH and pry bars. I had to do that on another car many years ago and it eventually worked.

If you have no luck with the adjuster and you plan on replacing the brake shoes anyway try spraying a lot of WD 40 or equilvilent into the brake drum, the use the BFH and pry bars. I had to do that on another car many years ago and it eventually worked.
Bingo Mike! They were dripping PB Blaster. Everything is getting replaced including the drums so when springs started falling out I wasn't too concerned. Bwhahahahah

I have to remove a badly frozen pair. I think I am going to take an angle grinder and cut a little and then whack 'em with a BFH and see if I can break the brake drums
Was fearing something like this myself. The soaking really did the trick.

Bingo Mike! They were dripping PB Blaster. Everything is getting replaced including the drums so when springs started falling out I wasn't too concerned. Bwhahahahah
Cole, I'm glad that worked for you!

Back