Dual Exhaust Cutout Valance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 2-v, single exhaust cars came with turn-downs. All 4_V, dual exhaust cars came with cutouts except:

1) all Boss 351s

2) all 73s built after 1-73.
Must resist the urge to comment. rofl

Yeah, I get ya'...I kinda sounded like a now-it-all there. Not my intention. I corrected my original post, and of course there are bound to be some cars out there that are documented original equipment that do not follow what Ford supposedly did from the factory(s).

One thought on the sound difference of the 2 exhaust styles. I tend to think that the cut outs with the straight tips will project the exhaust note in a rear direction while the downturned tips cause exhaust note to be heard/felt more inside the car. Yes the straight tips will also have some sound bounce off the pavement but the closed valance must trap more of the sound waves under the body and cause pulses to be more pronounced inside the car. Of course headers and size of mufflers affect the tone and volume, but comparing oem systems with the only difference being straight tips vs downturned i expect the downturned would be louder in or next to the car. That is one reason id like to get the straight tips installed on my car.

I have a friend who's dad has owned a 71 302 coupe for ages and it has never been wrecked yet has dual exhaust cut outs
Did he buy it new?

Yeah, I get ya'...I kinda sounded like a now-it-all there. Not my intention. I corrected my original post, and of course there are bound to be some cars out there that are documented original equipment that do not follow what Ford supposedly did from the factory(s).
No, it's not that - you're fine. We've just had this discussion before (since I have '71 H-code WITH exhaust cut-outs, and have been told it by more knowledgeable people that it never existed :whistling: ).

Latest posts

Back