Dyno Success

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
Well, finally got the motor dyno'ed! 343hp, 375ft lbs torque. I don't have the sheets right in front of me for RPM info. I think high 3-4000 rpm range was making best power. Build info: Cleveland 2 bolt block, .030 overbore, zero decked, KB flat top single relief pistons, stock crank .010 under, ARP main stud kit w/milodon windage tray, stock rods. Heads are OC 4bbl shaved .025, 2.04 intake, 1.70 exhaust, ferrea competition stainless valves with hardened locks and retainers, Viton locking seals, 76 1/2cc combustion chambers. 7/16" stud kit with Scorpion 1:73 roller rockers. JPW hardened 5/16" pushrods@ 8.5" length. Edelbrock Performer 4v intake, and Holley 750 vac sec. Carb. Cam is Comp cams XE262H, 513/519 lift hydraulic flat tappet, Lunati hyd. lifters, standard vol. oil pump w/ARP pump driveshaft. Dizzy: standard w/pertronix unit. Autolite platinum spark plugs. I think with 3:50 rear gears and a 2800 stall converter this thing should be pretty fun to drive!! Off to put motor in car today!! Thanks for all the help guys!! This forum played a big role in this build, and I'm very grateful for everybody's input!!!!

Congratulations, sounds like some goood numbers. Should make for a fun street car.
were you able to jet it and mess with the ignition timing on the dyno?

what is your timing?

those are good numbers for that cam but most dynos are a bit generous.

Thanks!! We changed jets from 72's to 70's, and yes we tweaked the timing, I believe it was 16 initial and 37-38 total. I would still like to maybe re-curve my dizzy to be all in by 28-3000 though. Right now I just want to get it running and driving, the rest can be done on lazy Sunday afternoons. We got the motor/trans in and bolted down today, headers went in good, we just sent them up from the bottom. No bumps or scratches!!! Now just wrap up wiring and exhaust, then off to alignment shop!!

motor in !!!.jpg

motor in.jpg

Its old ford blue, dupli-color engine paint. Got it at O'rielly's here in Minnesota. Just remember if you use it, all coats have to be done in 10min to 1 hour of each other, if not you HAVE to wait a week to re-coat. Otherwise it ripples REALLY bad!! It dries pretty fast.

Ok thank's for the info. I think that color looks great & closest to original. Trying to detail my engine & underhood better, like yours.

Ok thank's for the info. I think that color looks great & closest to original. Trying to detail my engine & underhood better, like yours.

Hope everything keeps going smooth w/your rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that looks SWEET!

Nice streetable numbers, should be a great combo!

Thanks!! We changed jets from 72's to 70's, and yes we tweaked the timing, I believe it was 16 initial and 37-38 total. I would still like to maybe re-curve my dizzy to be all in by 28-3000 though.
EASY, EASY DEAL . . buy the mr gasket spring kit from summit . . remove the heavy spring only from the distributor . . install one mr gasket spring in its place . . you're done.

COOL! I already bought the spring kit, but wasn't sure which spring(s) to change. Just replace heavy spring?
yes . . leave the other spring alone

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! Dyno numbers are almost identical to mine. Will be lots of fun.

Back