Edelbrock carb/throttle connection 71 351c

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1dave

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi all.
Had a Edelbrock carb and manifold for a good few years now, on the 351c 2v. When connecting the throttle linkage, original cable, 'ball type' push on thingy, it's always looked like the cable was too long, and always had a curved bit between the firewall bracket and the cable bracket (on the manifold). Pretty sure it's the original and correct cable. With the old 2 barrel, the cable was straight from firewall to bracket. Not much of a problem really, but lately the cable is getting very stiff, so wanted to change it for a new one. Question is, is the cable/Edelbrock 'curved cable' just one of them things, or am I missing something here? Is there a special Ford adapter for the carb to move the 'ball connector' forwards maybe?
Thanks guys.

When installing any aftermarket carb/throttle body on your engine you need to adjust the bracket that bolts to the manifold so the ball and socket on the throttle cable align properly. You may be able to loosen the bolts holding the bracket to the manifold, or you may have to use a file or rotary tool to elongate the bolt holes in the bracket (as I had to) in order to get enough adjustment. Many people overlook this step.

Same problem with an Edelbrock 289 and 1405 on my 302. My throttle cable is out over valve cover and pushed backwards.. I custom made a throttle cable bracket. From what I can see all Edelbrock linkage parts are junk, and the solution is Lokar cables. I priced out the linkage, brackets and required parts and it was about $500! That included kick down, throttle and required gas pedal. Way too steep for my wallet!

RIBS
The cost of the Lokar setup scared me away too. It looks like Jegs has their own version of the setup at a much cheaper price but I wound up ordering a custom stainless kickdown rod from Kickdown Rods Galore for under $130 shipped. He turned the order around the next day.
It's supposed to be delivered today.
It looks like we have the same carb/manifold setup except I've got the 1406 instead of the 1405. I had to modify the throttle cable bracket to get my cable to line up and I imagine I'll have to do some more massaging to get the new rod to fit.
I'll keep you posted on what I had to do, maybe that's a solution for you.
Mike

Back