73 Mach 1 351C 4V Intake and Carb Change

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just installed a new Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake on my Q code engine along with a Holley 4160 carb. I had the factory intake and Motorcraft 4300D carb on. After installation
I noticed that the throttle cable is 1.5" longer than the closest mounting point for the ball stud. If I pull the cable back to line it up with the ball stud, then I'm assuming it will
not give me full pedal stroke. At least when I eyeball it, that's what it looks like will happen. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what did you do to remedy? Also, the ball
will not fit in the cable end. Seems to large. I probably can address that. I've attached pics of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• image_50451457.JPG
    image_50451457.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • image_50752769.JPG
    image_50752769.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
This is how mine was setup when I got it. Looks like the original cable and same style mounting bracket as you have. If you use one hand to crank the carb to wide open and the other hand to push the throttle cable in can you get it in far enough for the ball to meet the recepticle?

And I may be mistaken, but I think your cable may be installed incorrectly in the mounting bracket. Its the reverse of how mine was.

1700509794038.png

1700510217030.png

Last edited:
With the carb throttle linkage at idle, I have to pull the throttle cable back 1.5" to mount it to the ball stud. My concern is, by doing that, am I reducing my throttle travel at full throttle by 1.5"? Because I'm having to pull the cable back to mount it on the linkage, it's dropping my pedal down the 1.5". Maybe I'm overthinking it. If I can ever get the cable end on the ball stud, I just need to test it out. I haven't started it since I installed everything.

Back