engine build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
Need advice. I am building a 429 for my mach . It will be a street driven car seeing the track once in a while. I don't want it completely stock but at the same time I don't want to go over board.

Need to know what cam, intake, stall converter and rear gears.

For the rear I was thinking of about a 3.90 gearing and about a 3500 stall.

Any advice will be really helpful.

Thanks

Jim

PS. C6 for the trans

- Unless you're hellbent on a 429, do a 460 instead. Cheap, abundant as green grass in the summertime, free extra cubic inches and the rebuild components are priced exactly the same.

- IMO, street big blocks don't need a bunch of gear. Cubic inches won't need a bunch of converter with the proper (ie. 1500-5000rpm) cam. A little bit'o converter is always good, just don't go overboard. A 3.90 gear sounds too deep for my liking in a street cruiser...

- SCJ style, big valve heads are not required on a generally low-mid RPM street big block (refer to the above bullet point).

Opinions expressed are solely my own. Your mileage may vary :cool:

What I consider to be a good BBF overview can be found here:

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

Cheap, abundant as green grass in the summertime,
Don't come to Central California, most lawns are already turning brown, drought water restrictions.

I agree, go 460, same physical size, more torque. You need to get a fairly wild cam for a street machine to need that high of a stall converter. This may help you:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-torque-converter-selection

Last edited by a moderator:
Need advice. I am building a 429 for my mach . It will be a street driven car seeing the track once in a while. I don't want it completely stock but at the same time I don't want to go over board.

Thanks

Jim

PS. C6 for the trans
What parts do you already have and want to re-use?

What is the budget?

Do you have any particular goal in mind?

Will you be running power brakes?

What kind of track will it be seeing?

Be at the local drag strip every once in a while. 72 Maverick is going to be my primary drag car.

Jim

Thanks

Jim

PS. C6 for the trans

What is the budget?

[/Have the complete engine. Block at school and bored out 30 over.Just have the crank to send out to be machined or look for a 460 crank and get new pistons.

Budget is going to be kind of tight but with doing most of the work myself should be good.

Car has power brakes and will be a driver in the summer months.

Jim

What kind of track will it be seeing?

Be at the local drag strip every once in a while. 72 Maverick is going to be my primary drag car.

Jim

Thanks

Jim

PS. C6 for the trans

What is the budget?

[/Have the complete engine. Block at school and bored out 30 over.Just have the crank to send out to be machined or look for a 460 crank and get new pistons.

Budget is going to be kind of tight but with doing most of the work myself should be good.

Car has power brakes and will be a driver in the summer months.

Jim
Assuming factory D0VE heads with no port work...

If you keep the factory 429 crank and rods, select a piston with a dish that will give you 9.5:1 to 10:1 compression ratio. This is the tough part about building a 429. There are not a lot of piston options. IMO if you use flat top pistons you will have a hard time trying to run pump gas.

A cam that will make enough vacuum for power brakes and be matched to the flow limitations of a factory iron head will not need a 3500 stall converter or a 3.90 gear. Something like the Lunati 61601 (213/219 @.050 112 LSA), a 2200 stall converter, 3.25-3.50 gear, Eddy performer manifold and QF 780 VS carb would make a nice street combo that will fry the tires at will.

If you opt for the 460 rotating assembly, late model EFI rebuilder pistons (92-97?) have a 15cc dish which is a cheap way to get the compression ratio you are looking for. For a little more money you can get aftermarket forged pistons which would give you some piece of mind for future power upgrades. With the extra cubes you could step up to the Lunati 61602 (219/227 @ .050 112 LSA) and a 2500 stall converter. An Eddy Performer RPM will help raise the powerband a little at the expense of some low rpm torque. The 780 carb is still a good choice.

Which ever way you go be sure to zero deck the block.

If the heads have good port work or you are going with aftermarket aluminum then the recommendations would change.

yeah, really need to know exactly what heads you will be using first.

do you want top end power like 6000 rpms and above or good bottom end power?

do you want to be able to do 70 mph on the freeway for long periods of time?

Honestly, if it is to be a driver I wouldn't do much except some good cylinder heads and the supporting components. Stockish rebuild with good connecting rods and forged pistons. Very mild cam, Air gap intake, Custom Pro Systems carburetor(prob a 850 cfm HP double pumper) as it will need more than a 750 can flow. Headers, 2600-2800 stall converter tops with 3.50 gears. You will have some serious traction problems already without making it worse with steeper gears and more stall.

Back