engine find

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03cobra33

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1
can anyone tell me what this engine is? I believe from the research I have done that its a 72 351c-cj or 351c HO anyone have any ideas?

Block reads

d2ae ca

2l18

351 block code .png

November 18, 1972 casting date. It is a 1973 model year engine block. Any other details. Chuck

Hello,

It can be a CJ, HO, (or even H code I guess?).

Can have 2 or 4 main bolts, to be sure you need to remove the oil pan to check that.

From 1972.

As Chuck mentioned, more details are needed! Because of the date, most likely not an HO.

I'd say if 4 bolt mains - 73 Q code block, if 2 bolt mains - 73 H code block.

Ray

The information I came up with shows that it was used for CJs and has 4-bolt mains.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-casting-numbers-and-engine-codes

If you can verify the number of bolts on the mains I would appreciate it. The information I used came from different publications and websites, and I try to update the information whenever possible and can be verified.

Thanks,

Don

it is a 4 bolt main. and i believe its has solid lifters i have to take intake off to confirm.

here are some pics.

IMAG0971.jpg

IMAG0966.jpg

IMAG0964.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it is a 4 bolt main. and i believe its has solid lifters i have to take intake off to confirm.

Nope, just a valve cover. If it has solid lifters it will have an adjustable valve train. Hydraulic lifter can too, but typically do not.

Pushing down on a pushrod will help you tell whether the lifter is solid or hydraulic, if the engine has had oil pressure recently.

Based on the top picture in post #6, it has to be a hydraulic lifter...you have pedestal mount rocker arms. Solid lifters require screw in studs and guide plates. There are other means to accommodate solid lifter, but not offered by ford on a cleveland. Don't think ford offered a solid lifter engine in 73 either...but the experts here could tell you for sure.

Sorry, if I'd of seen that picture yesterday I could have saved you the trouble of pulling the intake.

Sorry yes they are hydraulic lifters. so that means its one of theses? can we pin point which one?

Q 351 CJ (much less common)

The May 1971 / - 1972 Q-code Version (351-Cobra Jet, 266 HP) was a low-compression 4V variant employing a cast-iron intake manifold (with telltale spread-bore carburetor flange), special camshaft, hydraulic lifters, dual-point distributor, 4-bolt main caps. A small number of late 1971 351C-4V engines were actually low-compression 351-CJ engines, and were equipped with an aluminum intake manifold.

Q 351 CJ (much less common)

The 1973 & 1974 Q-code Version (351-Cobra-Jet, 246 HP) was essentially the same as the 1972 351CJ though with two important differences: Camshaft timing was retarded by four degrees; cylinder heads- though still with large 4V ports - were fitted with smaller valves (2.04" Intake / 1.65" Exhaust), same as used in 351C-2V.

You can use a mirror to read the casting numbers on the heads. There are 2 ID's you're looking for....one is the 4 digit EG: D1AE. This one is in a smaller font and located on underside of one of the inner ports. The other is a 1 or 2 digit ID in a larger font on undersid of the other inner port. This will be something like N or GA, etc... This along with date code should help determine which of the above you have.

i think these are what you were talking about

wait or are yopu taking about the images in my first post

IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0980.jpg

ummm, you have a cylinder head that does not exist . . it is a late 1972 date code so it is for a 73 . . the 4 on the corner means 4 barrel . . the DOAE on the bottom means 1970 and it has closed cambers . . That other thing is an N which was on 1970 heads only . . Your head in the last photo is a DOAE-N.

the head in the first photo is a 1973 open chamber 4 barrel head.

the head in the last photo is a 1970 closed chamber 4 barrel head.

this head does not exist.

This is it.

21292d1330881023-351c-4-bbl-heads-sale-351c-2012-02-11.jpg

I put that picture up to show him where to look for the casting numbers.
lol, ok that makes sense now . . unless his heads are DIZE they will be 73 open chamber likely small valve ones

I was under the impression that some 73 heads still had the large valves. Mine did, but I don't know if it had been altered. Date codes were clearly for a 73 though and the valves were ford parts. Of course in 35 years, who knows what was done

Back