Engine misfiring att WOT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am almost 100% sure it was just fuel, the plug was not black or anything just very very wet and smelled of gasoline.

Yesterday i swapped out the edelbrock for my Holley 650, wich i dissasembled and cleaned more thorougly this time. Did not have time to start it though because it was so late, and my wife does not appreciate my dual 3" sidepipes when she is sleeping.

With the edelbrock on the table i took that apart again for cleaning and inspection. Turns out the float levels are way off, in the top position the instruction says that it should be 7/16 (11.5 ish mm) inches from the carb top to the outer part of the float. Mine was about 0.15 (4mm) inches.

Could it be like this, since i installed the edelbrock i have ran this car pretty hard, i mean really tearing it up. And it has worked perfectly all the time. Until that day when i let it idle for half an hour, thats when the problems started.

Could it be that when i ran the car hard, i managed to keep the floats at a good level. And when i let it sit and idle it flooded and washed the rings and lost compression?

Also, everytime i start the car after sitting for a while. It fires right up and runs good, but after a bit of idling and building temp it starts to run worse and worse.

Okay so i fired it up with the holley, NO misfires at all, and best of all: NO CRANKCASE PRESSURE!!!!!!

Whats sad is something is up with this holley, it wont idle and sometimes if you rev it up it gets stuck att 3000 rpm even though the accelerator bracket goes back into resting position.

But hopefully the edelbrock will work now that its adjusted properly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so here is the real issue, with the edelbrock first of all. The floats were obviously set way too high, causing flooding. Then the hose to the pcv valve had gone so soft, so when you put it in the valve cover it was sucked together in one piece of the hose, causing the pcv to be inoperatable.

With the holley, it has to have some major vacuum leak in the throttle linkage or something, anyhow it has about half the suction in the pcv valve as the edelbrock, it seems to have been low enough to not suck the hose together.

So now i have set the floats on the edelbrock and replaced the pcv hose, and it runs like a beast again. No crankcase pressure, no misfires.

Thanks everybody for all the help, really appreciate it :D

It still runs a bit rich in the lower rpm range though, i need to get a calibration kit for the carb. If it idles for a long time it dies and is a bit hard to start. Also if flooring it from standstill and low rpm it bogs bad.

Over 2000 rpm its no problem though.

And on the way home from work yesterday the rear axle decided that it wanted no part in this car no more  :p

NcmyViu.jpg

JA7Ylft.jpg
OQM9vnY.jpg

Well, that sucks. I guess that's what happens when it runs right and makes power. Other weak links show up.
Yeah probably, also this was the used axle i bought that i did not know anything about. It looked good though so i just cleaned it up, put it in and poured some fresh oil in there. Has run good up until now when it just went out with a bang, literally.

Now this one is barely even good for welding, the broken spider gears have almost eaten trough the "case". I will weld it up though, never know when you need it  :whistling: lollerz

But now im on the hunt for the right tools to set up the third member that initially was in the car. I got hold of the dial indicator torque wrench and i have set the pinion preload, and now i must find the dial indicator to set the backlash and then i have all the tools i need.

I will save the other third member to put in a locker later, and rebuild it with new bearings at the same time when i got the cash, and if i keep this car. Im really thinking about trading for the 1965 thunderbird. My budget right now fits a cruiser better....

If i keep it i really need to replace some stuff as well. The single plane intake for one really has to go, I just have no torque under 2000 rpm. But i guess swapping out the stock converter for one with a higher stall would help as well. :whistling:

Back