Engine oil and rear mains

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure there are a few on here with that modification. Also believe it's really only necessary if your going racing.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

I'm sure there are a few on here with that modification. Also believe it's really only necessary if your going racing.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk
I got one but decided not to use it as its a possible failure point to contend with. After thinking about this some I am thinking that if I used it it may have given me a false oil pressure reading because it taps in at the oil pressure sensor. If this was the case I would have never discovered the bearing issue with my car and could have done some serious damage to it. I have not proven this to be the case but I am glad I'll never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've fabricated 4 from hardline over the years. I never had a problem with one failing or leaking. I can't see how it can hurt but, I also don't know if it helps. What I know for sure helps maintain oil pressure is bushing the lifter bores. At $400 it is cheap insurance if you are using the engine in a competitive environment.

Chuck

I've fabricated 4 from hardline over the years. I never had a problem with one failing or leaking. I can't see how it can hurt but, I also don't know if it helps. What I know for sure helps maintain oil pressure is bushing the lifter bores. At $400 it is cheap insurance if you are using the engine in a competitive environment.

Chuck
Chuck,

Just out of curiosity would using pushrods with restrictors accomplish he same thing as bushing the bores but to a lesser extent? I noticed that a lot of oil gets pumped up to the rocker arms.

thx

It does send too much oil to the top end. That can be remedied with a restricted or thick wall push rod. However, it doesn't solve (it helps bit as do cam journal restrictors) a more fundamental and detrimental problem is low oil pressure and volume to the crank and rods. The lifter galley has huge diameter holes to feed the lifters. Any tolerance imperfections, bore wear, reduced diameter area on the lifter body in the wrong place, internal metering of the lifter wrong for a 351C, or god forbid you spit out a pushrod and eject the lifter from the bore, guess what happens to oil pressure immediately. If you happen to be spinning it at 6000 RPM at the time you now have an expensive, one time use, grenade. If the small hole in the lifter bore sleeves are properly sized, you can still run hydraulic lifters. If it is a true street car it may not be worth the cost but, check bore wear anyway. Since we are talking about oiling, never run a high volume pump with a stock capacity pan. I'll bet you can predict what will happen if it is being run hard.

Chuck

I received the kit and it's now fitted on my engine.

i noticed on the oil pressure gauge that it's moving smoothly

SAM_4071.JPG

SAM_4072.JPG

SAM_4075.JPG

Back