Engine/Transmission Compatibility

scoot302

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mach 1
'72 Mach 1
I am about to pull out a 351c engine that is in bad shape out of my mach 1. I am either going to rebuild that engine or opt for a larger 429 rebuild. The current car has a automatic transmission and I want to convert it to a manual. I am not sure what trans can go to which engines.

Can a manual trans originally on a 429 align to a 351?

forspeed

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach1 Qcode fourspeed
71 convertible Mcode T5 exp.
No, sorry, but the 351c and the 429/460 do not share the same bolt pattern !

although i'm a big fan of the bigblocks i would suggest to rebuilt the 351c if it's possible.

You can built a hell of an engine out of them and a stickshift matching it will make you smile all day long :) ... i do, just came back from test drive on the first sunny warm day this year on dry roads :)

uv

snoozingpony

Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande
533cid
t-10
9"rear
No, sorry, but the 351c and the 429/460 do not share the same bolt pattern !

although i'm a big fan of the bigblocks i would suggest to rebuilt the 351c if it's possible.

You can built a hell of an engine out of them and a stickshift matching it will make you smile all day long :) ... i do, just came back from test drive on the first sunny warm day this year on dry roads :)

uv
I apologize I thought 351c and 351m had same bellhouseing:s ::new:: :udaman: I learned something!

scoot302

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mach 1
'72 Mach 1
Thanks a lot. I have been on this forum for a few months reading as much I can as I accumulate the funds for a rebuild. I plan on taking the engine over to a machine shop soon to get an idea of what my options are.

So what your saying is that the bolt pattern is different, but can that be solved by a different bellhousing? Or is this really going to be a pain to make happen?

coilwire

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
Scoot for a 429 you will need a trans out of a big block. The transmissions in a 351 will only fit a small block engine. The bolt patterns are completely different.

Jim

Tnfastbk

VIP Members
Staff member
Site Supporters
Reaction score
It's all good, Nick. I made a mistake once, I think. :angel:

:D:D

Doc
could that have possibly had something to do with a waterpump:huh:

Mesozoic

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang fastback restomod. Caged, stiffened, lowered, on 17" wheels with 4 wheel disc brakes and Bilstein dampers. PST polygraphite suspension kit w/Mustangs Plus springs. Custom SEFI-EDIS8 EEC-V injection based on '96 Crown Vic harness (CDAN4 strategy). 90mm induction, LMAF, 80mm Accufab TB, Edelbrock Victor intake, 42# injectors, fully ported RHS Pro Action 215 heads, long tube headers. '69 351W stroked to 408 using Scat 4340 crank, H-beam rods, SRP pistons. Comp Cams 284 Magnum hydraulic roller cam, Canton windage tray and main girdle w/blueprinted standard pressure oil pump. Serpentine conversion using late model 5.0 parts. Backed by a built 4R70W, FB Performance 3000 RPM triple-disc converter, custom alum driveshaft, stock Ford 9" w/3.50:1 billet LS.
You could get creative and find a 400M engine, which is essentially a 351C stroked to 400 and with 3.0" crank journals. You could take the 351C-4V heads and bolt them directly to the 400 block, drop in a fat cam, intake, headers, and you'd easily hit almost 500 hp and 500 ft-lbs of torque without having to do anything special and using stock parts. Just make sure you replace the 400 timing chain with a quality NOT STOCK unit (stock is retarded 8 degrees, gives 400s the nickname 'boat anchor').

Widowmaker00

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sportsroof
2010 Mustang GT
You could get creative and find a 400M engine, which is essentially a 351C stroked to 400 and with 3.0" crank journals. You could take the 351C-4V heads and bolt them directly to the 400 block, drop in a fat cam, intake, headers, and you'd easily hit almost 500 hp and 500 ft-lbs of torque without having to do anything special and using stock parts. Just make sure you replace the 400 timing chain with a quality NOT STOCK unit (stock is retarded 8 degrees, gives 400s the nickname 'boat anchor').
Yeah the pre-1971 quench chamber heads would do it.