Power Steering Pump Advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
70 Maverick Grabber w/351W & Toploader
71 Mach 1 w/ 429 & T56
I'm looking for some ID and rebuild advice for my power steering pump. This unit came with the original 429 motor that I pulled from a '68 T-bird. I cannot find any identifying marks on the pump because it is pretty badly gummed up and has lost most paint, etc. A good steam cleaning may reveal something, but I'm figuring that Ford only made a couple different flavors of this pump and most probably perform the same. I did manage to find a PN on the bracket - and it is "AA-3A732-B". Some questions about this pump:

1) Can anyone ID what pump this is?
2) Will it properly power a SPA-T or V Saginaw Gear?
3) Is it worth it to rebuild these units - or better to just go aftermarket?
4) Who does a good job of rebuilding these?

Thanks,

Marc

Attachments

• IMG_6440.jpg
    IMG_6440.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6441.jpg
    IMG_6441.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Ford-Thompson power steering pump. Some had a tag on the center hose connection on back of the pump.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I'm looking for some ID and rebuild advice for my power steering pump. This unit came with the original 429 motor that I pulled from a '68 T-bird. I cannot find any identifying marks on the pump because it is pretty badly gummed up and has lost most paint, etc. A good steam cleaning may reveal something, but I'm figuring that Ford only made a couple different flavors of this pump and most probably perform the same. I did manage to find a PN on the bracket - and it is "AA-3A732-B". Some questions about this pump:

1) Can anyone ID what pump this is?
2) Will it properly power a SPA-T or V Saginaw Gear?
3) Is it worth it to rebuild these units - or better to just go aftermarket?
4) Who does a good job of rebuilding these?

Thanks,

Marc
Marc, Contact me. I have a pump already rebuilt or can likely rebuild yours. It is the smaller fill tube type, so will be the same basic pump. The pulley size might need to be changed.
Geoff.

Back