Engine won't start and turns over like it has no compression

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty amazing what proper cam timing will do for how your engine runs?! I have a cheapo Amazon borescope and it's a tremendous tool for automotive use.

You'll gain a little more with a performance curve in the distributor and a bit more initial timing.
I have a couple. A cheapo amazon one, it actually costed negative money. It lists for $160. They sold it for $7, and paid you $30 to leave a fake review. I scored one, then the seller got nuked for their shenanigans. :D I also have a nice milwaukee one that runs like $450.

The milwaukee one is smaller so it fits into tight spaces, and it has dual cameras 90 degrees apart. It can view angles the cheap one can't. Like if you stick it in a spark plug hole, you can rotate it around to see the cylinder walls well and even the head and valves.

The cheap one is still better than nothing. It pays for itself again and again, every single time you need to use it.

I get scared when I see this timing chain post. Mine has been unseen within the original engine...tick tick tick... But thanks for the update.

You might be able to get an idea of the condition of your cam gear and chain by taking the distributor cap off and looking at the rotor movement while you manually by hand move the crank back and forth. At the point of failure I could move my crank back and forth about 13 degrees (measured with a digital protractor) before the cam moved. When my chain finally jumped it only broke of a couple of bits of gear, all of the other wear was what had happened over the years so the 13 degrees backlash was there before the final failure.

Latest posts

Back