Exhaust... Once again :)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
Hello guys, lots of new stuff on my Mustang !

No more backfire in the exhaust, I changed the distributor cables with new Autolite cables and it solved the problems. It wasn't an exhaust problem.

Well, I finally got a pair of Hooker Comp headers and I'm ready to install them. They look great and I can't wait, but I need a new dual exhaust system because the current one is rusty and looks bad !

I was advised to get 2,5" pipes. I use my Mustang on the street only. Now I don't know what to get because there are so much brands... And I can't find any "matching" exhaust kits for 71-73 Stangs. From what I've gathered I love the Flowmaster sound (classic 40 or 44).

I need something which is good for performance and that sounds great.

PS : I have a rear sway bar.

Is the rear sway bar a factory type bar? Does the car have staggered shocks? At your power level the 2.5 pipes are not needed. http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp A 2.25 pipe would work just fine and they are available (Glazier/Nolan Mustang Barn, NPD, etc.) If the rear bar is not an OEM style bar the pipe may not clear. Chuck

Hello guys, lots of new stuff on my Mustang !

No more backfire in the exhaust, I changed the distributor cables with new Autolite cables and it solved the problems. It wasn't an exhaust problem.

Well, I finally got a pair of Hooker Comp headers and I'm ready to install them. They look great and I can't wait, but I need a new dual exhaust system because the current one is rusty and looks bad !
My advice is to find a good muffler shop - one that does hot rod and/or classic car exhausts - and have it done there. When I was doing my '71 Mach, a complete dual exhaust setup for it was $460 - parts only. A local muffler shop (owned by a Mustang nut, by the way) did a superb custom job, great sounding mufflers, the whole thing, for $461. They even welded the pipes then put OEM-style clamps on them so it's very hard to tell the difference from bone stock. The tips I used are the standard chromed Mach tips.

+2...what Dan said:)!

I had virtually the same experience when it came time to add the exhaust system to my '73 Grande with Hooker headers. I went to a local Muffler Shop and they installed the Delta 40s Mufflers and did all the pipe work to include having the pipes routed over the rear axle and non-factory rear sway bar.

I also agree with Chuck that 2.25" should be a "good" size for your application.

BT

The cool thing about a good muffler shop is you can get anything you want bent the way you want it. This is the stainless set up I dreamed up in 79 on my 73 that I was taking to the strip at the time. Figured heat on the tires was a good thing for traction. Back then cost me all of $25 from mufflers to tips.

scan0009.jpg

I also got mine put together at a muffler shop. but I already had the flowmaster tail pipes and mufflers. It cost me around 150$ for the labor and remaining pipes. I went straight no x or h pipe.

+4 with Dan on a good Muffler Shop. Only because you have headers now and will need them to build you an X or H pipe. You can also buy a "Muffler on Back" system from CJ Pony's and just have the muffler shop build you an H Pipe. What size motor? Staggard rear shocks? Stock Swaybars? What tansmission do you have? All answers you'll need to know when buying an exhaust system from an online store. Post them here and maybe we can help select the appropriate kit for you.

Aloha,

DJ

Thanks for your replies !

I have a rear sway bar that looks stock, and as I have a Grande I think I have staggered shocks, but I'm planning to change them for Bilsteins or Konis.

So maybe I can order a pair of 40 series Flowmaster mufflers and corresponding tailpipes, then go to an exhaust shop and let them do the rest ? Or getting a complete kit and "adapt" it.

I have a C4 transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back