Extremely annoying loud whining sound

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odmark

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mercury Cougar
Hello guys! My cougar has now developed a fairly loud whining/whistling noise that i cannot seem to locate.

It appears to be coming from the top of the engine, like near the carburettor or distributor.

It does not get louder or change in any way when upping the revs, nor while driving. Still the same constant whine, or like a long high pitched "beep".

I have disconnected the belts from the alternator and power steering just to rule that out, and once again checked for vacuum leaks (even though i find the whine to be too loud for a vacuum leak) but i have found nothing.

It started after resetting the intake though...

Also some times when driving longer (like 20 miles+) , it briefly goes away. But next time you start her up after sitting for a little while its there again.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
see if you can making a cone out of paper and stick it in your ear and move around the engine while running and spot when it gets louder in an area.

based on what you are saying it could still be a vacuum leak.

Disconnect and cap all vacuum accessories coming off the intake to rule them out(like brake booster)

leaks at the ends of the valley of the intake are common don't use those cork gaskets. leaks at the 4 corners are common.

as the engine heats up and things expand the vacuum like might slightly seal up, then as the motor sits and cools the hole opens back up.

As its idling use a little propane torch unlit and run around your intake to check for leaks. It will idle up if the propane gets sucked into a leak.

To get rid of the extremely annoying loud whining sound, I usually leave her at home.

Hahahaha
Yep, I divorced the source of my whine 12 years ago and like Lot in the Bible I never looked back.

No change in tone with change in rpm may be an indication of it being electrical in nature. I'm not familiar with the wiring in a Cougar, but I would see if it is there with the key in the run position.

I will try the paper cone method.

I will disconnect all vacuum and check more.

I did not use the end seals only "Permatex The Right Stuff".

Turtle5353: have done this already but cant find anything, will have to try again.

Im unfortenatly still stuck with that whining sound but luckily she does not want to ride in the cougar :D

Yes it almost sounds electrical, but its wierd that it started just after swapping intake gaskets.

Tried some stuff now, it does not seem vacuum related. I have unplugged all accesory vacuum and so on.

I have sprayed really thourogly (and i mean really, learned my lesson last time) and nothing.

Tried the paper cone method as well as a hose.

But it is very very hard to locate, almost seems like the sound is comimg from the carburetor on the passenger side :huh:

Now it does not seem to go away at all. When you turn the engine off the sound continues for about a second or two and like "phases out" you know like something loosing pressure.

Edit: The sound is definatly coming from the carburetor. But it seems like its coming from the inside :huh:

Okay this is so frustrating, i pulled the carb and put a new gasket with a little bit of sealer on (permatex no. 3, gasoline proof).

And the noice seemed to have reduced a bit in volume but was still there.

Went to a local car show the last couple of hours and when i started the car to leave the sound is VERY LOUD!

Embarrasing! If it had only increased with rpm so i could pretend to have a supercharger :whistling:

Edit:

Here is a video of the sound, ignore the ticking sound from my worn rockers paired with an exhaust leak and the bad shape of my engine compartment :whistling:

Back