F150 Pick-up's - Who owns one?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hey gang! Looks like I'm picking up a 2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 tonight to replace the Cobalt SS that I crashed last week! Yep, some young gal decided to blow a stop sign and pull out in front of me. Totaled the SS and her Cavalier but everyone was unhurt!

Anyway, I am getting an F150 with a 5.4 Triton V8 and all kinds of features! It has towing packages, driver comfort packages, Sync...you name it! Just wondering if any of you Ford guys have an F150 and how do you like it? This is my first pick up ever!!

2v8h8gm.jpg

I have a 99 f150 Lariat 4X4 that now has 138000 on it and still going strong. Mine has tow package, power everything, leather, two tone paint, 5.4 tritan, and one of my favorite features is the actual transfer case shifter in the floor. I absolutely love mine and am sure you will love yours too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 1986 F150 SWB we call El Guapo.

Here it is after I repaired the damage from hitting the deer on I-95.

Since then, I built a 408Stroker to drop in it, gave it a 3/5 drop, boxed the frame, rebuilt the rear end with an Eaton Posi, 4-link coilover rear suspension, etc. Currently it is in Nashville, TN where Rick Bacon, former host of MuscleCar is doing some bodywork and painting it. You can find my build thread on the ford truck enthusiast site at: http://m.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181613. Alternatively, you can google "Adventures of El Guapo".

Why would I do this, you ask? Well the truck was purchased new by my wife's dad, and he gave it to me about 15 years ago just a few years before he passed away. My goal is to make it really fun to drive, and somewhere down the road give it to my son. It's a family thing, and it's a hobby. It doesn't need to make sense. There aren't that many of these old trucks around, at least not ones in good condition. When I'm done with it, El Guapo will turn heads, just as Jefe (our mustang) will, when it's restoration is done.

Mine has the 5.4 Triton. The truck has 70K on it and I did get a great deal, but is 70K high for a 2010? Everyone on the F150 forums says 70K is barely broke in!

I have a 2010 F150 XLT extended cab 4x4 with 5.4. We bought it new in July 2010 and it has around 31,000 miles on it. It has been a great vehicle, no problems at all. Plus, for a pickup it really hauls. It pulled our Mustang (on a trailer) from Las Vegas to Visalia with no effort over a couple of mountain passes. I am very happy it, glad I got it.

60,000 miles would be considered the upper normal for a four year old vehicle.

Great truck...Congrats...I hope it brings you many years of trouble free service..The F-150 has been the best selling truck for 37 years and the best selling auto for around 24 years in the good ole US.....And most on the road...I grew up driving a old blue 79' ford F-150 with a 302 and a stick...Drove the old high mileage girl instead of putting miles on my stang......as of now ...i own a little ford ranger just for the gas milage for work..lol

05 F-150 STX 4X4 Extended cab, short bed 4.6 triton ,35,000 miles. It pretty much just hauls the camper & boat. I love mine. F-250 superduty for my company truck . :D Congrats on your first truck Barry, after this the only car you"ll want to drive is the MUSTANG!

Congrats on the truck, hope it brings many faithful miles to you! I have a 2005 f250 4 door 4x4 with a powerstroke and I absolutely love my truck. Probably as much as I love my Mach 1. Great quality and super tough! Good luck to you on yours!

I have been looking around for an F150 Super crew cab, for a few years, but my 97' Expedition 4.6 only has 121K miles and is running strong.

the 70k seems about average from what I have been seeing around the Northeast area for any Pickup truck.

my wife's 2010 Prius has 85K+

Barry,

I had a '98 Eddie Bauer Expedition (loaded of course, 5.4, AODE trans I think) up till last year. Dad bought it used in Delmont back in '99. Sold it with 124K. Had no mechanical engine or trans issues ever, aside from it appetite for gas! It lived a clean life on a concrete driveway when parked.

Sure, fairly large year difference 'tween yours and this one, but still basically the same generation (1997-up).

With that being said...

What the long term sore spots turned out to be:

- Remove and cup wheel the rear control arms. They are a powder coated (or a thick paint) U-channel and will delaminate. Mine had giant holes in them. The rear literally was ready to fall out from under it. Fabbed new ones out of 1x2 tubing using the OE bushings. Track bar was almost as bad, ended up boxing it at the ends for stiffness.

Aftermarket "performance" arms are available on Ebay... hmmmmm.....

I think your setup may be different than the '97-up ones, but still check it out.

- Rear differential, exterior... Cup wheel that bad boy too. Mine had mad, cleaving rust issues. I worried about its strength (9.75" rear, w/ 3.73's) it was so bad.

Coat all those components with something greasy and non drying inside and out.

- Engine block. Since the gaskets don't leak on modulars, there's no goo to keep the water jackets in preservative. Same goes for the differential, since it doesn't get any of the spray either. Have heard of one shop (didn't actually witness it) that had a Explorer 4.0 that had rusted from outside in and leaked antifreeze... Ford wouldn't help them.

My block was scary rusty when viewed through the wheelwells.

- My rocker panels (and other sheetmetal) actually stayed in pretty good shape. Most aren't as lucky. We sell A LOT of rockers/cab corners/rear wheel arches for GM, Dodge and Fords... have delivered some for '08's in body shops... Spray more greasy stuff up in there!!

- Exhaust manifold studs. Been a problem on modulars since '97, and no recall. Go figure.

Dorman sells complete replacement kits. Hmmmmm again........

- Front driveshaft. Remove, clean, coat. Mine was VERY crusty. Probably coulda easily poked a hole in it.

- Starter motor. Remove all the wires, clean terminals and coat with lots of dielectric grease. I had corrosion problems, and our controller at work had the same with his 2006 Exped. Hardware on both trucks was bad crusty. Must be the proximity to the RF wheel spray.

- Neutral safety switch. Located on the trans shifter shaft. They are plastic, but get dry and bound up to the point of not being able to move the shifter on the column. Galls to the shaft and gets trashed if you pry on it too. Oil the daylights out of it. No, I wouldn't have thought of that one being a PITA either.

I have a super clean '99 Suburban now... has the SAME issue, along with the wickedly rusty rear diff. Crazy.

Other than that, we had real good luck with the truck. Change oil @3k, you won't have any issues. I may have a trans filter and maybe some oil filters I'll drop off to you. I need to (ahem) do sales calls out your way anyhow... :)

Congrats, you're gonna like it!

Mine has the 5.4 Triton. The truck has 70K on it and I did get a great deal, but is 70K high for a 2010? Everyone on the F150 forums says 70K is barely broke in!
70k is young for a 5.4...my buddy brought me one to tune up for him. changed plugs, and coils (his choice while I was there) and they were clean as new and his truck has 201,000 miles on it. It does not use, or leak a drop of oil

I have a 2006 F150 Supercrew FX-4. Best truck I've ever owned!

I took this picture last December on top of Vail Pass.

F150.jpg

Not exactly an f150 but I got a 99 ranger xlt extended cab I love to death.

Thanks guys! I picked her up last night and I'm feeling good about the purchase! It is one hell of a nice truck! Sounds like a good runner also!

The only bad thing about owning a truck is wanting all the truck accessories! Mud flaps, vent visors, bug shields, bed covers...I need a fatter wallet! LOL!

Latest posts

Back