Factory Exhaust Kits?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

As I get ready to reinstall my drivetrain in the convertible, I must turn my attention to the exhaust system... obviously, I want to keep it as near stock as possible and finding a NOS system that will actually be functional is out of the question as well as the ridiculous costs involved. Although the finished car will not be driven regularly, I intend to take her out once in a while...

So, I am looking to purchase, if available, a correct package system for my non cut out rear valence car. A 2 1/4" factory style system including h-pipe, intermediate pipes , mufflers and tail pipes that will properly clear my competition suspension and staggered shock set up. I have the correct muffler and tail pipe hangers already.

The mufflers are a question mark at this time also. The new ones need to be dimensionally similar to the factory style, however I want to get a set that are performance oriented but not extremely loud when the 429 is running...

What would people suggest as a really good muffler to meet my needs and that will bolt up in the factory set up?

I checked online and there is a company out of Connecticut called Precision that advertises a package system. Has anyone had experience with this company? I also see Scott Fuller in Cali., but the web site does not show a full set up available for a '71 429 Mustang.

I realize in the end I may have to look at a custom system fabricated locally, but I thought I would look down south first and see what might be available.

NPD advertises an aluminized system, which might work also. I would prefer a stainless system, but I doubt these are readily available for my car.

Thoughts?

As I get ready to reinstall my drivetrain in the convertible, I must turn my attention to the exhaust system... obviously, I want to keep it as near stock as possible and finding a NOS system that will actually be functional is out of the question as well as the ridiculous costs involved. Although the finished car will not be driven regularly, I intend to take her out once in a while...

So, I am looking to purchase, if available, a correct package system for my non cut out rear valence car. A 2 1/4" factory style system including h-pipe, intermediate pipes , mufflers and tail pipes that will properly clear my competition suspension and staggered shock set up. I have the correct muffler and tail pipe hangers already.

The mufflers are a question mark at this time also. The new ones need to be dimensionally similar to the factory style, however I want to get a set that are performance oriented but not extremely loud when the 429 is running...

What would people suggest as a really good muffler to meet my needs and that will bolt up in the factory set up?

I checked online and there is a company out of Connecticut called Precision that advertises a package system. Has anyone had experience with this company? I also see Scott Fuller in Cali., but the web site does not show a full set up available for a '71 429 Mustang.

I realize in the end I may have to look at a custom system fabricated locally, but I thought I would look down south first and see what might be available.

NPD advertises an aluminized system, which might work also. I would prefer a stainless system, but I doubt these are readily available for my car.

Thoughts?
I am a dealer for Precision Exhaust

His system will look original, he has the old bending machines to make the pipes. He welds the brackets on the mufflers to use the factory hangers.

He does a lot of Shelby stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest finding a good muffler shop in town. With some of the modifications you have done the chances of a good fit with a mail order kit diminish.
Hmmm, absolutely no modifications from factory appearance and fit completed on my car. Factory exhaust manifolds... Are we talking about the same car?

Engine rebuild almost done8 (2).jpg

I think your best bet would be going with Don's guy, or getting a local shop to build exactly to your specs, as will e said.

If I remember right, turn-down exhaust came with the tail-pipes literally turned down and cut-off horizontally - no tips. That's something that would need to be done on the car, IMHO.

I think Summit has a Pypes 2 1/4" stainless kit with either H or X pipe. The Pypes Street Pro mufflers that come with the kit are a good performance muffler with a good sound and not too overwhelming. The only issue I think you'll run into would be having to piece the kit together for the best fit, since the kit is essentially a universal kit for '71-'73s - small block, big block, coupes, verts, sportsroofs, etc., one-size fits all... with the right amount of tweaking. As such, the kit has a ton of clamps you'd have to forego for welding - which would be extensive if you didn't want the 'pieced together' look.

Mine has a 2 1/2" kit, but you can see kind of what you're up against with a kit (all the clamps, etc.). Picture it without headers and with an H-Pipe, rather than X-Pipe. ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think you're better off having someone fabricate as well.

Hope this helps.

I got one of the precision systems with turn downs and it fit perfectly using all of the factory mounting locations. I get grab some pics of the turndowns tonight. I got the system with the "Turbo Mufflers" as they are correct dimensions. Not very loud though. I also went with the aluminized and not the stainless. It was originally installed with the factory manifolds. I have since switched out to headers and had to modify the fronts and H pipe to fit obviously.

I don't know about the Pypes universal exhaust pipes but the Flowmaster universal tail pipes had to be cut into two pieces, re-bent, and welded up to make it fit with staggered shocks on my 72. I tried to do the same thing with my 69 Cougar with staggered shocks, a complete no go. The pipes ended up in the scrap pile. The Scott Fuller system would be perfect but, crazy expensive, $2500.00+. Precision sounds like the best answer for what you are doing. Let us know what you end up doing. Chuck

I don't know about the Pypes universal exhaust pipes but the Flowmaster universal tail pipes had to be cut into two pieces, re-bent, and welded up to make it fit with staggered shocks on my 72.
Mine is a non-staggered shocks car - I just didn't have the driver side shock installed for some reason (Oh wait... I had just rebuilt the rear axle when I took the last pic... probably hit the end of the day and took some pics before I left and just hadn't gotten it back yet).

$2500 - Yeesh! Does Scott Fuller call Bob Perkins in to break wind in the room while it's being made or something? :whistling: rofl

Thx for the replies. My last Mach 429 had a custome stainless exhaust system $600, but that was back in 1993... the guy spent about 7 hours completing the system. When I sold the car 18 years later, it was still perfect... albeit the stainless had stained due to the type of stainless used.

May look to have another ss system done one day, but for the time being I was hoping to put on a nice pre-bent system. Unfortunately, being a 429 car, my options appear limited.

For the type of restoration I am doing, systems that have to be pieced mill together with additional clamps are out. I intend to have only the clamps as installed at the factory, this is doable.

The precision system seems like the best option, I will have to get more info from them to see if this will be a good fit.

I did order this system, not a lot of options available out there for the 429 cars. From my research, this company seems to produce a quality factory appearance system. I will let you know how the install goes. Guess I better get the engine in first :chin:

I would suggest finding a good muffler shop in town. With some of the modifications you have done the chances of a good fit with a mail order kit diminish.
Hmmm, absolutely no modifications from factory appearance and fit completed on my car. Factory exhaust manifolds... Are we talking about the same car?
I think I may have made a bad assumption regarding your description: "competition suspension and staggered shock ". I assumed staggerd shocks was something you added to the convertible.

You also mention the H pipe, that's not stock. Years ago I purchased the parts from Ford dealership and still had trouble getting them to fit correctly. But I was like 18 years old at the time and my skills were pretty minimum. :)

I think I may have made a bad assumption regarding your description: "competition suspension and staggered shock ". I assumed staggerd shocks was something you added to the convertible.

You also mention the H pipe, that's not stock. Years ago I purchased the parts from Ford dealership and still had trouble getting them to fit correctly. But I was like 18 years old at the time and my skills were pretty minimum. :)
No worries, you had me going there for a minute... yes, it will be interesting to see how this system fits once it arrives. The h-pipe has to be perfect, or else...

Latest posts

Back