New leafs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Green on green 72 Mach 1
Installed new Eaton stock ride height leaf springs and powdered coated the housing. New AMK mounting hardware with new shackles and bushes. Cleaned up the underside and covered with rust proofing.
Also had good 3:70 gears and timken bearings installed in the aluminum center section. Looks and drives much better.
EDIT: I figure I’ll share some info on my exhaust system. I bought two kits. One a 2-1/2 universal kit and 2-1/2 65-73 tail pipe kit. Both mandrel bent and from Flowmaster. I made the H pipe and mufflers but had Exhaust Addicts do the tail piles. (They have a popular Utube channel and are local). Most of you know they don’t make a kit for staggered shock cars. That’s why I wanted a shop to do it. The drivers side was modified with left over pieces from the universal kit. And you can see in the pic the passenger side had to be bent to make it exit properly. And you can see the crush bent it. Not bad and it isn’t as crushed looking in person as the pic makes it look like. I also used stock reproduction hangers. So of any one is looking to do an exhaust system hope this helps with some insight.
And another side note I wish I would have done a 3 inch system.
Maybe next time.

IMG_0357.jpegIMG_0153.jpeg

Last edited:
Before you spend too much time wishing for a 3" exhaust you might want to look at this Engine Masters episode where they compared 2-1/2" and 3" exhausts. Not much difference for a 350 c.i. engine. The mufflers make a huge difference.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/engine-masters-tests-cheap-vs-expensive-mufflers-episode-17/
The comparison they did with a big block engine did show a fair-sized difference between the two exhaust sizes.
And, I wouldn't worry too much about the crunch bends. They also did a comparison of mandrel vs crunch bent systems, and surprisingly they didn't show that much difference. The crunch system had higher backpressure, but not that much power loss.

Before you spend too much time wishing for a 3" exhaust you might want to look at this Engine Masters episode where they compared 2-1/2" and 3" exhausts. Not much difference for a 350 c.i. engine. The mufflers make a huge difference.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/engine-masters-tests-cheap-vs-expensive-mufflers-episode-17/
The comparison they did with a big block engine did show a fair-sized difference between the two exhaust sizes.
And, I wouldn't worry too much about the crunch bends. They also did a comparison of mandrel vs crunch bent systems, and surprisingly they didn't show that much difference. The crunch system had higher backpressure, but not that much power loss.
I think I saw that one
It’s a 410 making 530 hp
I also saw where engine masters tested extended collectors and I think 18 inches long is where it stopped making a difference. I’m thinking more like a 3 inch H pipe and 2-1/2 inch tail pipes.
I have some kind of Hooker muffler can’t remember. If it made 800 900 horsepower you don’t worry to much about killing a little power but in the 500 range you want to squeeze all you can out it. It would be something for later if ever

Thinking about doing both
As no doubt you already know, Addco remade the rear anti-sway bar thanks to our friend jpaz, who worked with Addco to finally get it right. There still could be some of the wrong sway bars out there, just make sure you get the revised 990 bar.
The front 1 1/8" bar fit fine, no issues.
There are other brands out there, but at least we know these fit and work great.
TIP: you likely will need to drop the right side tail pipe to wriggle the bar through, or do it before you do your exhaust. ALSO, the rear bar will be close to the tank support cross member where the fuel return vent line goes (if you're still using it). I needed to add a spacer and longer bolt to the clip. see pic below.
Other than that enjoy the ride....... literally.

Attachments

• IMG_1778.1.JPG
    IMG_1778.1.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 1
Back