factory grill lights have no power

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogbiscuit

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1 429SCJ Ram Air Drag Pak
My factory grill lights have not power at the light socket with headlights on. Is the headlight switch unique to cars with grill lights?

Grille light (sports lights) only work on first stage of your headlight switch. They are off when headlight switch is on second stage and headlights are on.
That's incorrect. They are powered by only the second stage when headlights are on. Actual power is obtained from the headlight switch line that goes to the dimmer switch, which converts that line to high or low beams. Whenever high or low beams are on, your grill lights should be on.
1973 are a bit different, in that they also have a filament for turn signals.

That's incorrect. They are powered by only the second stage when headlights are on. Actual power is obtained from the headlight switch line that goes to the dimmer switch, which converts that line to high or low beams. Whenever high or low beams are on, your grill lights should be on.
1973 are a bit different, in that they also have a filament for turn signals.
Thank you for the correction. I was very sure that the circuit was the other way around. I never stop learning.

First thing I would do is check the bulbs and sockets for corrosion. These cars had poorly sealed connections by todays standards.

Back