few issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
alright ladies and gents, as most of you know I ask a lot of questions that the common person would have the answer too, but then again I am a Army guy and have been doing Advanced Recon for 9 years and I love it, but that is all I know.

I got my car up here and started to strip the paint tune the engine and Thunder I am still kicking my self in the butt about this shifter linkage.

I am slowly finding more and more body errors to fix, and I am doing my best to work the bondo correctly, taking my time not using cardboard to mix it and all that fun stuff.

I got the elderbrock throttle bracket 1486 and it is just not matching up,

I am getting my vacuum lines closer to right

Seam sealing the rear where the rear patch panels where welded on, and Q you are the man. I have asked this Man so many questions and I reread them after I hit the send button and some of them sound like I should be locked up in the nut house, but thanks

I am trying to get my oiler and regulator here so I can spray the car correctly

I am simply going through the part of hot rodding issues right now, nothing is going right and when you get it done you find another issue that needs to be fixed.

I will leave it at that and yes my exhaust is still not on due to I am waiting on my timing light( i have a great one at my dads so I am not going to go out and buy a new one Ill just wait).

I am still not sure why I am posting this but I figured if you had ten minutes to read this you might post something back as a joke or even give me another tip so I can find another flaw in my car, lol.

I got a spinal injection to day so I cannot do anything today but I need to get going and get the body work completed before it goes to crap for waiting so long. Thanks and have a good one

This first pic is what I found under the old carpet and it is in bad shape but still kinda cool. I try to find the little things in life to make me happy. I am simple jack...

2ynknrb.jpg

1zy7cis.jpg

24pjdyr.jpg

Renta, if it makes you feel any better, this summer I'll have had mine for 10 years... and never driven other than around the block! Now, it's on roll around stands sitting in the corner... figure I have some learning to do on other vehicles first...

Anyway, on your carb linkage, can you maybe run the rod on the other side of the bracket (inside?) It seems like the alignment would be better, but I can't tell if it would interfere with the other part.

"I am trying to get my oiler and regulator here so I can spray the car correctly"

Sorry to hear about the spinal shot, I hope you are on the mend. Do not use an oiler in a line used for painting. It will 'Fish Eye" terribly and you will start prep over (oil and paint do not mix). Do not use an air hose if it has been used with an oiler. Use a water trap/regulator and a clean hose as well as a condensation filter at the gun. You are taking on a lot in a short time. I appreciate your enthusiasm and determination. Chuck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270685949957?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I just bought this thinking I was doing the right thing, please do not tell me I screwed up again. I have nothing better to do right now besides complete my masters and work on the car so I have spent too long away from her and trying to do this right. I have not painted in a long time and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. Can I use the regualtor and maybe not put oil in it to make sure the pressure it correct. I am sure this is another question I just could look up but that is why I like this site. Thanks Chuck I know you and Q and TN will be on here shortly to correct my possible mistakes.

Can't correct any mistakes, but I can encourage you to keep at it. All of that stuff just happens and yet you'll figure out a way to make it work. Your work (and documentation!) are an inspiration to many of us here. Keep it up!

Doc

Hey Russ we will get the shifter part straightened out , took me a couple of tries on mine it was a bit sloppy but i finally got it , ordered the bushings for mine and it adjusted much easier

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270685949957?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I just bought this thinking I was doing the right thing, please do not tell me I screwed up again. I have nothing better to do right now besides complete my masters and work on the car so I have spent too long away from her and trying to do this right. I have not painted in a long time and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. Can I use the regualtor and maybe not put oil in it to make sure the pressure it correct. I am sure this is another question I just could look up but that is why I like this site. Thanks Chuck I know you and Q and TN will be on here shortly to correct my possible mistakes.
:huh: Man trust me if it can be done wrong, I have done it.

So is it safe to say that piece I just bought should not go on until I have painted the car. The line is brand new and so is the gun, I know I will spend about 20 minutes getting it tuned just right. I just don't want to prime it thinking I have sealed it good and to find out that I only made it worse.

I have watched a lot of videos on the web to see what to do to correctly prep the car prior to painting and man I have seen people use vinegar water, thinner and just about everything under the sun to put on the car prior to painting. Yes the metal is bare in those pics, but I do know that you are adding moisture to the car before putting a sealer on it. So it is like whipping before you poop. I mean come on. I know you do not want to put anything on that evercoat like water, or thinner prior to painting since it will absorb into it and hold that moisture, someone throw me a bone. Thunder I am about to set that car on fire and hope the shifter works, that is the only thing I have not tried yet, maybe meditation will work or even telekinesis.

I am hanging strong guys and thanks for everything

well I took everything apart from the shifter and to the steering column and I am going to find park on both and try to get it going. I know I am good on fluid, and vacuum is set. I know this is the easiest thing in the world minus changing oil and I will have to baby step it and I will get it.....JUST IN TIME

Russ, Just don't use any oil in the oiler you will be fine. If I over stated the situation I apologize. When I read the post I had a mental image of the entire car being a giant fish eye, that thought creeps me out. Robert had a great suggestion about disconnecting the lock out rod until you can make the shifter work properly. With your attitude you will prevail. I'm not much of a painter but, I wash the part(s) with dish detergent and water, rinse completely, dry and then wipe down with Wax and Grease Remover followed quickly with a clean , dry towel to remove any residue. Keep at it. Chuck

BE AWARE!

The reason they will only give you so many spinal injections is because your body cannot remove it from your system. It will amass itself in your largest joints, (hips, knees, shoulders) and promote arthritis down the road. Got my first shot at 23 and FINALLY had the surgurey at 52. Because at 52 your less likely to tear up the repair due to sedimintary lifestyle changes. JMHO so start working on the stang nwith down the road in mind nand take care of youself like you'll live to see 100. Now, (whew) what's this mess about a linkage?

I ordered 1 or 2 different throttle bracket adapters from edlebrock never got the right one. I don't think they make one that really works. I made my own.

I haven't got a picture of it right now but I know the problem your having.

Yeah I think I am going to have to make some changes to that bracket in order for it to work right.

I am finding I can not get a happy sand with my filler. I have went through half a gallon and havent covered anything at all. I am putting it on and simply sanding too much down and add another coat. I am adding in small amounts to keep the air and issues out of the mud but I cannot get into the grove, just yet, only time will make it work for me. I have a lot of time,lol.... I am still thinking about setting it on fire about the linkage I really think it might work, dont you guys doubt me until you have tried it. I will roll it out of the garage prior to lighting it up, dont want to have to start putting mud on my walls

Hey guys just want to let you know I am doing good, slow but good. The bodywork is coming together pretty well and I think after I get the car striped down and a final once over I should be good to go.

I have gotten alot of private messages from you guys and I am very thankful to have people like you guys on here. I feel like a fool sometimes and I should, but it does not hurt my feelings. I know there are others out there with the same questions and maybe I take it too far but hey, that is just me and I am sure some of you guys are already use to it.

I thank you all for your help and I look forward to working with all of you in the future,

I am just glad I found a site that is only for our cars, that way everyone knows what I am talking about when I start rambling. I know I can be a little long winded but if it comes into this tiny brain of mine, it will end up typed for all to see, that does not fair well for me all the time.

Maybe just step back for awhile... let it rest for a few days... works for me :)
A few days turns into a few months turns into a few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay on it

BE AWARE!

The reason they will only give you so many spinal injections is because your body cannot remove it from your system. It will amass itself in your largest joints, (hips, knees, shoulders) and promote arthritis down the road. Got my first shot at 23 and FINALLY had the surgurey at 52. Because at 52 your less likely to tear up the repair due to sedimintary lifestyle changes. JMHO so start working on the stang nwith down the road in mind nand take care of youself like you'll live to see 100. Now, (whew) what's this mess about a linkage?
I like the injections but after a while the become less effective each round:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back