Garage storage during the East Coast Winter questions?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 1972
Hi guys, first of, I appreciate this forum a lot, so the winter is coming (Jon Snow said it) and I had to do some work on my garage. I cemented the floor, and had guys insulate it, now what do you all do to keep your car warm?
I mean I brought in a space heater to keep on running, then I am reading online, keep everything 8ft away from it or it will blow up, I mean the garage is 8ft long and I got stuff in it, but at the same time I don't want freak accidents. So considering garage is insulated, and floors are cemented how do you keep it warm. I am running battery trickle charger constantly plugged in.

Obviously HVAC is the way to go, but I got 40 ft from the house to the garage, so that's not an option.
Are there space heaters you recommend? Or just cover it and let it sit there. It won't melt, it's not an ice queen.
I just want to make sure winter and cold(Last winter it went down to -13 on some nights) won't ruin wires and all that.
P.S.: One carpenter recommended i get a construction light bulb and just open the hood and light it during the night and the heat emanating from it would be enough to keep warm the oil.

Anyways just thinking out-loud, any other thinkers appreciate it.

Minnesota here, I just take the battery inside and let the car sit in the garage with a cover. Normally I'd start it every few weeks but it's temporarily somewhere else for this winter. Just make sure it has anti-freeze and maybe let some oil pressure build before you first fire it again. I know some people throw it on jacks so the wheels don't get a flat spot but I haven't notice anything happen over the winter. Being inside it is out of the elements, wind, snow, rain, etc, etc. Ambient temperature isn't gonna be as cold as you think inside.

Nothing special is needed other than to make sure your coolant is up to spec. I just disconnect the battery (-) terminal and leave it in the car, not even on a tender. If it dies on it's own over the winter, it was due for a replacement anyway.

A bigger worry than the anything else is keeping mice out of the car. Be sure all your body plugs are in place and there aren't any gaps to let them in. The cowl is a very happy place for mice to nest up, so make sure the screens are in place, and check it occasionally for activity. You can plug the drains at the sides with steel wool for the winter, just be sure to remove it in the spring.

I avoid starting the car in the winter if at all possible. If you don't get everything up to temp, you're only going to add moisture to the crankcase.

I do nothing other than make sure the coolant is good and disconnect the battery. I pump the tires up to around 40 psi hopefully to help stop flat spots on the tires from sitting in one place for 5 months, re-set in spring!! I changed the oil this year, usually I do that in spring.
Kerosene heaters are bad news as they cause massive amounts of condensation. An electric ceiling mounted garage heater is ok, but you only need 40-50 degrees. My garage is attached to the house and uninsulated except for the house side wall. I do keep an eye on humidity, but that's not been a problem. The garage does get down to mid 20's f, but that great for my beer!! We call the garage "the big fridge".
I used to pay for heated storage, but finally decided it was a waste of money, especially now I'm on a fixed pension............ very fixed!

+1 with everything above, especially Hemikiller for 5 month WNY winter seasons. I had a bad experience 5 yrs ago with mice entering the car thru cowl drains, then into the plenum and the interior. I had been using dryer sheets which obviously failed to slow down the incursion. Took weeks of dismantling interior & plenum to disinfect & clean. Last few years have been using mice deterrent (from suggestions by RV owners) that consists of (5) small dishes with fragrant peppermint oil - cotton ball wick- which so far seem to be helping. One plus is the car smells minty fresh in the spring.

I checked tire pressure, cover , full tank of ethanol fuel. Start once every month and run until hot. Check mouse traps,lol.
Good point on the full tank, I missed that in my post. I add a can of SeaFoam as I've come to think it is better than StaBil as a stabilizer.

Hi guys, first of, I appreciate this forum a lot, so the winter is coming (Jon Snow said it) and I had to do some work on my garage. I cemented the floor, and had guys insulate it, now what do you all do to keep your car warm?
I mean I brought in a space heater to keep on running, then I am reading online, keep everything 8ft away from it or it will blow up, I mean the garage is 8ft long and I got stuff in it, but at the same time I don't want freak accidents. So considering garage is insulated, and floors are cemented how do you keep it warm. I am running battery trickle charger constantly plugged in.

Obviously HVAC is the way to go, but I got 40 ft from the house to the garage, so that's not an option.
Are there space heaters you recommend? Or just cover it and let it sit there. It won't melt, it's not an ice queen.
I just want to make sure winter and cold(Last winter it went down to -13 on some nights) won't ruin wires and all that.
P.S.: One carpenter recommended i get a construction light bulb and just open the hood and light it during the night and the heat emanating from it would be enough to keep warm the oil.

I have a wood floor in my garage

I have a wood floor in my garage and no insulation.i keep a battery tender hooked up, i make sure i put fuel treatment in and i put bars of Irish spring soap bars inside to protect against mice. I also leave the hood open so the daylight can shine on the engine this protects against mice making nest and chewing on wires in the engine compartment. They like dark places , and I try to start and pull out of garage a few feet and back it back in every two weeks or so.

No need to keep it warm. Better to make a plan to keep mice and other critters out of the garage. I would invest in mouse bait traps and I also place Grampa Gus mouse repellant packets in the trunk and interior in several locations. I place the packets in a small aluminum foil bowl I make just incase. Never really had a problem with any staining but do not want to risk it. They smell like peppermint so it helps keep the interior from getting a musty smell. Biggest and best investment for longer term storage is dehumidifier. Winter in usually dry, but it is those transitional seasons before and after

Michigan winters here. I do the oil change, full tank of fuel with Stabil, I over inflate the tires to around 40 psi, pull the battery and put it on a tender. I put the car cover on then put it in a zippered bag with some dessicant cans inside. I use a Car Jacket brand bag. The car comes out looking just like it went in.

Also pay attention to heat loss. No. 1 usually is un-insulated garage doors. No.2 is the ceiling. No. 3 is the walls. and No 4 is the window(s).

Mine is fully insulated and I leave the door to the boiler closest open about 1 foot. It stays at 55 to 60 all winter in NJ.

Really no need to heat the garage. Cold in and of itself will not be a problem. I’ve winter stored dozens of cars. Here is my list:

Oil change.
Fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer.
Ensure antifreeze will stand up to the Expected temps.
Pull the battery and bring it inside, or put it on a tender. The main thing is to protect it from freezing.
Cardboard on the floor under the car and tires. Concrete sucks the moisture out of tires.
If the car is going to sit on the tires I pump them up over 40 psi. I usually have my cars on jack stands as some winter projects usually occur.
Thin cardboard under the wiper blades (rubber will stick to the windshield over time).
Stuff a rag into the exhaust pipes. Cridders love them. Started my side exhaust Vette one spring and basically had a shot gun spray of nuts shoot out.
I use original Bounce sheets in the interior, trunk and under the hood. Mice don’t like the smell but it is not offensive to people.
For the race car I always fog the motor. I have done so for my older carbureted street cars. Though not a necessity.
Dust cover for the car.

Resist the urge to start it during the winter. Dry starts are not good and you never get all the fluids up to temperature long enough. Cold really doesn’t affect the tires. Lots of debate on that but the Trans Am team I work with, and my wife who is in the industry, have convinced me. I use to cart 40 tires (half mounted) to the basement every winter.

Rob

Last edited:
Back