First start after long storage?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72conv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible
I need advice on "first start" for a vehicle that's been sitting unused in indoor storage for about 6 years. The engine is a stock 302-2v. The long block was overhauled, the vehicle was driven home from the shop (about 25 miles), and then just parked. I just rebuilt the carb and installed all fresh tuneup parts. The vehicle has a new fuel tank and lines have been cleaned out, so not worried about fuel system crud. I am planning to pre-oil the engine by pulling the distributor and running the oil pump for a while. How long should I run the pump? Should I change the oil first, since it's been sitting so long? Any other advice?

It sounds like you have a good plan and done the right steps. An oil change would be good. Use a high zinc oil since you don't know how much time is on the rebuilt engine. Valvoline VR1 is what I use. You should notice a load on your drill motor when pressure starts to build in the pump. If you have an oil pressure gauge, have someone watch it and tell you when it registers pressure. If you don't have a gauge you can pull a valve cover and watch for the oil to come out of the rockers. That should be all the more priming needed.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sheriff41. The engine doesn't have much run-time since it was rebuilt. The shop ran it to check/set timing, fill and burp the cooling system, etc., and then I drove it about 25 miles from the shop to home at speeds varying from 0 to 45 MPH. Definitely not broken in yet! I'll pick up 5 quarts of VR1 and a new FL-1A filter next time I'm at the store and do an oil change before I pre-oil the engine. I'll have my lovely assistant (Wifey) watch the oil pressure gauge for me. It had full oil pressure when I drove it home from the shop, so I'm not expecting any problems in that regard.

Thanks for the help! (y)

Not worried about abusing the starter. What I am concerned about is spinning the engine when it's completely dry. I don't want to damage anything. The main thing I'm worried about is the cam and lifters. I read somewhere that cam and lifter lubrication mainly comes from oil slung off the crankshaft as it rotates? If that's the case, then I guess pre-oiling the engine won't actually lube them?

Since the engine was run previously for break in and the drive home you should be fine with priming via any of the methods above. Your cam will get oiled some and the lifters will get oil pumped in during the prime.

Just adding this, something I don't know about a 302. Does the distributor/oil pump have to be turned anti-clockwise like the 351C?
With plugs out, a light squirt of oil in each cylinder might be a good idea too.
When my car sits all winter, I just pull the coil + and ground it, then bump the starter a few times before turning it over longer. Then reconnect the coil wire, prime the carb through the vent tube (Holley 670) and fire the sucker up.

Back