First time you know you liked mustangs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I was about 16-17 me and a buddy "borrowed" his dads 72 H code sprint fastback while he was out of town and went through almost 20 gallons of fuel in about 3 hours hauling ass down any back roads we could find I remembered all the compliments I got at the gas station while I was filling her up and from then on I knew I wanted one from that point on.
Ha ha ha,done the same at about 14 with dads valiant. That's when I realised mopar cars are burnout kings. I didn't get away with the ride, 2 flats gave the game away lol:)

OK, this is the first time I've told this story.

A buddy in HS had a 65 Coupe, and let me go for a ride. I noticed a couple of holes in the headliner in the back seat area, and I asked what that was all about. He began to explain the story, but the bottom line was that the holes were caused by high heel spikes:D. I hope you can imagine how that happened. Well, I thought to myself, this must be the ticket, and got me a 66 GT Coupe shortly thereafter. Still awaiting for those holes to appear, though...:p

I don't remember falling in love with mustangs but I have loved American cars as long as I can remember. I never cared much about our puny European cars.

There used to be many American cars in Luxembourg in the 50ies and 60ies but in the 70ies when I grew up, they were already gone with fuel prices on the rise and have been scarce ever since.

But growing up on shows like The Dukes of Hazzard, the Fall Guy and Starsky and Hutch, American cars left an enormous impression on my mind. When I was a teen I would dream about owning some Detroit steel but everyone would try to talk me out of it and was putting American cars down in general. (Poor quality, too big, low gas mileage, crappy handling and such. That is the stigma American cars have to this day in Europe.)

After I got my license (at 18 here) I got my grandpas 1977 Mitsubishi Galant Sigma and it kinda looked the part. Unfortunately that car did not last long and I got the usual euro daily drivers but I always wanted something special. After a short stint with two Jaguars (which are great cars if you like to walk or riding the bus) I decided to stick with "normal" cars but the bug never let go.

So I bought my Mustang a few years later when I was 30 years old.

I was not looking for a Mustang in particular but I was looking for an American classic and I somehow ended up with mine.

So it was not really a Mustang love affair that got me into it. It was just the love for American cars in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now come, come Mike! - You know this love affair with America just can't go on!

There is only one answer and one thing to do! You're definately going to have to move and live in America for good!

It's the only way your soul will find peace.:p:p

You could even hang out with Wolverine when the mood struck you!!:D

You know what you godda do! (It's much cheaper as well:))

Greg.:p

As I am 48 years old, I have been a Mustang fan all of my life. When I was maybe ten, my dad brought home a 68 to flip. As I recall, it needed some transmission work. While I was going to high school, the car I wanted most was a black and gold 66 Shelby GT 350..But, as a youth, I spent my summers working for my uncle, and he had a 69 Cougar. I had to have it. Sequential turn signals, the hide away headlights, AND, I had never seen one before.

I've had two other mustangs over the years, a 66 coupe with a 6 cylinder, (There is a story on that car!) and a 351C powered 71 coupe. Both bought and sold in the 80's..

I would like to be able to keep my 71 fast back, as I do kind of like the body style, but I still can't afford to just keep it. I bought it to flip, and would love to find it a new home.

Lux, I had to laugh when you mentioned the Jags!

Yes, they weren't the most reliable with their 6 foot timing chains! Hehe
We were talking about the E-type the other day. I mentioned the

Lucas electrical system and my Polish friend said no, it is pronounced

"Luck-As*. You see them parked all along the streets.

They were very intolerant of cold wet weather, go figure!!

mike

Lux, I had to laugh when you mentioned the Jags!

Yes, they weren't the most reliable with their 6 foot timing chains! Hehe
We were talking about the E-type the other day. I mentioned the

Lucas electrical system and my Polish friend said no, it is pronounced

"Luck-As*. You see them parked all along the streets.

They were very intolerant of cold wet weather, go figure!!

mike
I was told that is why the Brits drink warm beer, Lucas made their fridges too:):p

It's called "Lukas, king of darkness" for a reason.

We have this annual classic car rally that I usually participate in and usually two or three out of the 200+ competing cars finish on a tow truck. One at least is always some Jaguar. The other is most probably an MG.

except for that corvette stingray that busted a tire once.

At one point my two of my brothers had 65 and 66's. Both had jobs already because that was the only way they would get one. We were pretty dirt poor so there were no parents with nice rides to entice us. About 14 i was seeing this little chickie at school that had a boyfriend...(OOPS) He was a senior with a 71 Mach I. Since he thought it was cool to be kind enough to stop by and give me a ride to take me to the chickies' house to whoop my azz he didnt consider the fact that with older brothers I was quite accustomed to azz whoop'ns so I got in the car and off we rode to the confrontation. Apparently he was reconsidering why I would willingly get in his car to go get my azz whooped and reconsidered. It was a nice car! Later my oldest brother had another 66 and then test drove a big block 69 Mach with 4 spd. MY GAWD THAT was the most fun a 15 year old could have. He couldnt afford it...but my gawd that was a fast car!!

I was all in!!!

In the late 60s, everyone in my Junior High was talking @ the Boss 302 in the mustangs but in 72 just before Hurricane Agnes ruined the Eastern Seaboard ie serious flooding from Hornell, NY - Wilkes Barre- PA. One of my class mates had a silver Mach1 then I went down to the local Ford dealership and got the 72 Mustang Sales Brochure. From that moment, I fell in love w/the the vinyl top Grande. But by the time i convinced my parents for me, they bought a Mustang II 2 + 2 in 74. Not the same?

Latest posts

Back