For 9 inch N case 8 3/4 ring gear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

83slimer

Reaction score
My Car
1973 sportsroof mustang
Hi Guys,

I have a chance to buy a ford 9 inch with a limited slip see attached pics. He says its a 28 spline , my 73 currently is 28 spline open, is this a good buy? it looks like a N case , 3.25 ratio but its hard to read the tag looks like WBV-AR shows 63 pass vehicle, 3.25 I understand but the L is after the ratio so is it limited slip? and the a22P? Also he said 8 3/4 ring gear , Should I stay away from this? on a budget so looking for a straight swap, $_27 (1).JPG$_27 (2).JPG

I wouldn't pay much for that, but if you can get it cheap and rebuild the limited slip it would be nice to put that third member in your mustang. It looks like it came off the titanic so I would want to see the third member pulled out and inspect the internals before purchase, becasue if the gears and bearigns are rusty it isnt worth bothering with.

+1. I had quick performance rebuild mine completely for under $800. That was going from an open 2.75 to a 3.70 trac-loc. You can also just order a complete third member from them for not much more but I wanted to keep my own case. Super nice guys to work with as well. The new rear is fantastic!

http://www.quickperformance.com/

By "N" case, are you referring to Nodular? I don't see the telltale N cast between the center webs. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not nodular case, but to find out, you'd have to remove the 3rd member from the housing.

By "N" case, are you referring to Nodular? I don't see the telltale N cast between the center webs. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not nodular case, but to find out, you'd have to remove the 3rd member from the housing.
Yes I read that on the net I can get the whole thing for 300$ he said he would take it apart for me to inspect it . I'm in Canada so I could probably get a 28 spline locker for mine for 350 plus I'd have to get it put in and set up. Thanks for the responses guys I think I'll wait until it's appart to to see if it's worth it. I just figured if it's usable I could bolt it right in and go.

I would also guess by the age and looks of it the clutches are most likely gone, so you would be looking at rebuilding that one as well. It is not likely that it would just bolt up and perform without some work being needed to the carrier at the bare minimum and probably the bearings as well. Also you will need to consider what yoke is on that one vs what is on yours. It may require a different U-Joint or even a different driveshaft as the made I believe two different length yokes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also guess by the age and looks of it the clutches are most likely gone, so you would be looking at rebuilding that one as well. It is not likely that it would just bolt up and perform without some work being needed to the carrier at the bare minimum and probably the bearings as well. Also you will need to consider what yoke is on that one vs what is on yours. It may require a different U-Joint or even a different driveshaft as the made I believe two different length yokes.
Thanks after mulling it over I'm better off using what I have that I know is good a nd buying a new 28 spine locker for 420$ . Nice having this site and knowledgeable people to keep me from bad decisions lol

Latest posts

Back