Found Disconnected Wires in Trunk

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang Mach 1, 429CJ, J Code SOLD 3/2016

1971 Boss 351 Mustang
Medium Yellow Gold
From Kim Miller Collection
I was working in my trunk with my space saver spare when I found two wires not connected in the trunk. They are over each rear wheel well in the trunk.

My car has the optional rear window defrost. I was wondering if the wires could have something to do with that. I looked inside the car and could not see where any wires hook to the back window grid like modern defroster windows.

Does anyone have any idea what they are and where they might plug? I know my defroster switch works and lights a small red LED in the dash and I hear a relay when I turn it on. However, I do not know if it is heating the window.

View attachment 22230

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

My car has the defrost also. Below is a pic of the green wire going to the window. It has a female plug at the end that pushes over a male metal piece that is attached to the window on each side. Looks like what it is to me.

The other line might be for the trunk light?

izyn8h.jpg

Mike,

My car has the defrost also. Below is a pic of the green wire going to the window. It has a female plug at the end that pushes over a male metal piece that is attached to the window on each side. Looks like what it is to me.

izyn8h.jpg
Is that inside the trunk or inside the car where the wires connect to the tab on the window?

Hard to tell from photo, but could they be old speaker wires from a previously-installed set of aftermarket rear speakers?

Mike,

izyn8h.jpg
Ok. I have that small curved piece in each side of my window. I guess that piece makes contact with the band of heat filament on the window. Can you look in the trunk on both sides and see if there

Are wires that connect to a plug a little bit to rear of where the wheel well ends. I found what looks like a place to connect wire there but not on others side. Other side looks like it could connect but might be broken off.

Is that inside the trunk or inside the car where the wires connect to the tab on the window?

Does anyone have a wireing diagram of the rear window defroster wire for the window side of the car they can post?

Back