Found red cable with yellow dots

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with 460 engine, C6 automatic gearbox.
Hi!

I stumbled upon a loose, black, thicker cable underneath the dash on the drivers side a couple of months ago. I forgot about it but found today again. It looks like the cable were cleaned cut so I taped the end to be on the safe side.

I followed the cable to the engine compartment were it becomed red with yellow dots, or maybe it's hashed. It goes to the four prong connector but I can't really be sure what it's for. I look at the wiring schematics. It says

R-Y H: Goes to emission system and seat belt warning buzzer and lamp.

W-R: Oil pressure gauge.

R-W: Water temperature gauge.

P-W: Dual brake warning switch.

What I find funny is it looks like my cables have different colors and swapped places. One looks like it's light green with red stripe. The engine is a 460 from a Lincoln, so maybe that's why, or am I going crazy? Am I reading the schematics correct? :chin:

2quqlhz.jpg

6gvfqx.jpg

2bp7ko.jpg

155klqt.jpg

Best regards

Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:
That's for the carburetor emission control line, I believe. It's part of the engine gauge feed harness: red/green and a brown, white/red, and red/white, which is the top half of the plug on your first picture. Why it is routed inside the passenger compartment is unknown...it is a RUN-only line. That is not the stock or factory routing.

Thanks Midlife! There is no emission system left. Previous owner tore it all away and swapped the engine from a 351 into a 460. I'll remove the cable from the passenger compartment and hide it discreetly in the engine compartment. ;)

Putting Jeff73Mach1's name in my little black book....Hmmmm...

Back