Front speaker

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach One, 4 speed.
Hey guys, I've got no front speaker and was wondering what my options are for good sound. I've got really good rear speakers and I would really like to put 2 four inch or 2 three inch speakers up in the front dash speaker area if possibel..and ideas would be appreciated!

There are single speakers with dual voice coils available. Never heard one playing so can't speak to sound quality. I have one in storage that I plan to install in my car when I upgrade the sound system. I recall seeing adapters for two small speakers. The problem with small speakers is that they produce small sound, and it's doubtful they would have any bass response.

From my experience the single speaker solution (dual voice coil) for the dashpad is a waste unless you don't have an option. I used the Retrosound dashpad speaker for a while but I was never satisfied with the sound. I eventually ended up modifying the doors to add 6x8 (5x7) Kicker speakers and a subwoofer (https://7173mustangs.com/threads/door-speaker-replacement.25136/page-3#post-358045 and https://7173mustangs.com/threads/mu...hread-1971-m-mach-1.19381/page-14#post-345617). Adding these took a few hidden mods that no one will notice. The sounds is awesome now. Off course, I didn't stop there and added another hidden mod by placing two tweeters in the dashpad with independent volume control (https://7173mustangs.com/threads/mu...hread-1971-m-mach-1.19381/page-15#post-388339). However, I don't think the tweeters add that much but obviously my hearing is not what it used to be ;) .

There are also dual 3.5” “pile driver” speakers that fit in the dash with no modifications. I use them with my RetroSound USA radio. The sound is better than stock with some stereo separation as the sound bounces off the windshield. I believe NPD has them.

Correction, I have the Custom Autosound USA-230.
https://www.classiccarstereos.com/c...g Shopping | Radios&utm_term=4580359288431304

The good news is the wire from the radio to the speaker(s) is only about 36"and you do not have to cut additional holes in your beautiful Mustang.

The USA-230 Custom Autosound radio for 1967-1973 Mustangs sells for around $200.00 It comes with an Aux audio Input and cable. Unfortunately the new iPhones do not have audio jacks so I bought a small hand held MP3 player and cable for around $50. from Amazon.

Good luck with your installation.

I added two 3 1/2" Kicker coaxial speakers in the dash location and I am going to add Kicker 5x7 coaxial speakers in the stock door locations to try and get a decent sounding, four channel separation sound as best I can with my fold-down rear seat car that I am not willing to alter the rear interior panels on at this point.
I am bevel mounting the 3 1/2' speakers with wood framing in the stock dash location and am going to cross phase them. I have done this on a couple Firebirds that I have had and most recently with my Camaro that all had center mounted dash speakers like our cars do. Basically the speaker mounted on the left is tilted slightly to the left but it is wired to the right channel and the right speaker is tilted slightly to the right and is wired to the left channel. The left speaker is tilted so the sound bounces off the glass like it is coming from the right and vice a versa. This helps the two speakers, that out of necessity are mounted right next to each other, gain some separation and that helps with imaging. Being aimed away from each other the sound can bounce off the glass separately and not just mush together. Although I know it would sound much better if it was possible for the speakers to be mounted outboard away from each other. Considering that is not an option to do that and keep a stock look, this is the best solution I could come up with.
It did help with my other cars when I have mounted the dash speakers this way. In the Firebird that I initially mounted both speakers heading straight up right next to each other, the sound seemed to blend together. When I remounted the same speakers in this way, I felt the separation was improved, so this is how I install the two dash speakers in the one center location since.

Last edited:
I added two 3 1/2" Kicker coaxial speakers in the dash location and I am going to add Kicker 5x7 coaxial speakers in the stock door locations to try and get a decent sounding, four channel separation sound as best I can with my fold-down rear seat car that I am not willing to alter the rear interior panels on at this point.
I am bevel mounting the 3 1/2' speakers with wood framing in the stock dash location and am going to cross phase them. I have done this on a couple Firebirds that I have had and most recently with my Camaro that all had center mounted dash speakers like our cars do. Basically the speaker mounted on the left is tilted slightly to the left but it is wired to the right channel and the right speaker is tilted slightly to the right and is wired to the left channel. The left speaker is tilted so the sound bounces off the glass like it is coming from the right and vice a versa. This helps the two speakers, that out of necessity are mounted right next to each other, gain some separation and that helps with imaging. Being aimed away from each other the sound can bounce off the glass separately and not just mush together. Although I know it would sound much better if it was possible for the speakers to be mounted outboard away from each other. Considering that is not an option to do that and keep a stock look, this is the best solution I could come up with.
It did help with my other cars when I have mounted the dash speakers this way. In the Firebird that I initially mounted both speakers heading straight up right next to each other, the sound seemed to blend together. When I remounted the same speakers in this way, I felt the separation was improved, so this is how I install the two dash speakers in the one center location since.
I installed one of those 2 speakers in an adapter for the original speaker placement and didn't like it. I'm away from home today, but if you can wait till Friday I'll check to see if I still have it. If I do you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Just sayin'. If you currently have your radio/unit connected to two "really good" rear speakers, you need to have either a second stereo output on your unit, or simply splice into each of those speaker lines running to the rear to get sounds up front.
But what I'm getting at is; I've faced this problem, and what I did was to put my mid-bass speakers in the rear, and fitted a left and right mid-high tweeters in the 6X9 dash. Remember, you need both left and right speakers represented up front too. I bought two three-inch speakers that would fit in the space where the factory 6X9 goes. Then made a 1/4 inch thick plywood shape to fit that opening, tracing two holes to fit the two 3" speakers. Mount it all into your dash, and viola! I don't envy working that far up under your dash, Have fun! B.T.W. IO love these wire connectors from Amazon!71AQJO33PRL._SX522_.jpg

I have the single speaker with dual voice coils up front. Nothing special but they don't do much but sound odd. Lol so I just use rear... they kinda sound like a telephone speaker

As promised. This fits where the factory speaker goes under the dash. I'll send it to whoever wants it for price of shipping.

Attachments

• PXL_20240517_114112923.jpg
    PXL_20240517_114112923.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back