Front Valance Trouble

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another example of poor quality and workmanship for 71-73 mustang reproduction parts.

mustang7173 :s
I have heard horror stories. I have not personally had the pleasure.
Atleast they are repopping the stuff. Better than working with nothing at all or having to find some workable factory parts. But yes it is a pain in the arse getting repop stuff to fit properly.

Another example of poor quality and workmanship for 71-73 mustang reproduction parts.

mustang7173 :s
Maybe but LOOK he has bolts where they do not belong

Valances get 3 bolts on each end and a center bolt

Adding custom brackets and 4 more bolts may or may not tweak the valance

Maybe but LOOK he has bolts where they do not belong Valances get 3 bolts on each end and a center bolt Adding custom brackets and 4 more bolts may or may not tweak the valance
Yes - that part, too. Good point, Don. ::thumb::

cheezsnake, you might want to let all of those bottom fasteners loose, find the center mounting point Don is talking about, and loosely mount the fastener in that location. Once you get that done, then check the fitment on the ends again.

I'm pretty sure the holes still won't line up on the valance-to-fender mounting points on either side as I ran into the same issue with mine (the distances between the three mounting holes being different between the fenders and valance), but at least you'll have the underside mounted properly before you start tweaking the other areas. :cool:

Sorry. I didn't quite understand what you were trying to say earlier. Still confused. The valance has 11 mount holes. 3 mount points on each end attach to the fenders. There are 5 mount points across the valance. The 1 in the center must mount to a bracket (which I think my car is missing). The 2 holes at the guard position (football terminology) mount to the bottom of the hood latch braces, and the 2 at the tackle position mount to L-brackets that attach to the frame.

Am I reading correctly that only the center mount point is supposed to be used out of the front 5? Those other mount locations and brackets don't look custom. I assumed they were factory. I've got the valance back down, so I can attach pictures of what's going on above it.

Here's a pic of the mount points on the car. Notice the speed nuts on the bottom of the hood latch braces, and the 2 L-brackets outside of those. The center mount bracket is missing. Both those L-brackets are exactly the same and are slotted for adjustment. If they're custom, somebody spent some time on them. But, you're right. If the other 4 holes are not to be used, that could cause a problem.

image.jpeg

From that picture

Your car is an early 71 with a dual mount center grille support

Your valance would mount with 3 bolts on each fender and 2 in the center to the grill mount brackets = 8 total mounting points

The two extra brackets on your core support are not to mount the valance.

They look like the brackets for the lower bumper guards. Fairly rare option on early 71 cars.

Wow! Thanks, Don! No wonder I was having trouble. Would not have figured that out on my own.

I have repop fenders hood and valance, the valance is way off as well will be redrilling the fender 3 holes on each side, All the bends are really crappy compared to my origional but the repop is clean so im using it instead of filling pounding on the origional one.

Anyone have pics of the support bracket that bolts to the rad support to one of the 3 holes on the fender/valance , i know i had the brackets on it before but i cant remember where they mount, they push the front of the fender outward and provide stiffining of the fender and valance

Here is an example pic of the bracket...

2u9saow.jpg

Take that puppy back to where you bought it from and try another..

I ended up restoring the original panel on my car and after many hours of work, it fit perfectly.. That being said, I could not restore the rear valance panel and ended up with a repop.. It took just a few hours to make it fit right and I'm happy with the it.

If you don't have the skills to restore original parts, then the repops are your only option. You can also try different suppliers and manufacturers.. No two are alike, even from the same maker..

Back