Frozen DIff

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's something I learned from the old boys, easy and very effective rust removal technique using molasses.1 part (feed-grade) molasses - to 8 parts water. Drop in your most rusted parts for a couple days and No more rust. Use a plastic drum as it will eat through steel drums eventually.You throw the mixture - right on your lawn good for your garden :)

Luke, I've heard of that and discussed it with a metalworker a couple days ago. I wouldn't want to do that with a differential that had heavy scaley rust as even if you get it cleaned of the rust the pits, and the loss of any hardened surface would cause failure in a matter or weeks

Luke, I've heard of that and discussed it with a metalworker a couple days ago. I wouldn't want to do that with a differential that had heavy scaley rust as even if you get it cleaned of the rust the pits, and the loss of any hardened surface would cause failure in a matter or weeks
True. Good catch although it doesn't seem to hurt cranks. Gets you a bright shiny finish on your parts. I guess you could dilute the mix some more

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you remove all the rust from the gear set (forget the bearings) you will be left with a rough surface. Can you really expect those gears to last for any duration once the ground surface is gone?

Back