fuel line-exhaust interference..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
First of all, I apologize for not posting a pic. I still don't know how to post them.

First of all, my'73 Mach-1 has dual exhaust with turn downs right after the mufflers. As for my fuel system:

My gas tank is new and where the sending unit mounts to the tank on the drivers side of the tank (unlike the top of the tank like my '68). The fuel lines run right where the tail pipes would be if I had full length exhaust. Had this been an issue for anyone else? I'm concerned I have the wrong tank. Can someone post a pic of their fuel tank showing how the fuel lines run? I appreciate it..

Mike

the exhaust and the fuel lines are close. however the temp by the end of the exhaust past the mufflers is very low. there should be an air gap between the exhaust and the rubber fuel line. you should be able to stick your fingers between them, but yes they are tight.

Now a couple of years ago they made reproduction fuel senders with the fuel outlet tube soldered the wrong way. that caused the fuel lines to run even closer then normal.

here:

1_zps722a28c3.jpg

2_zps0d112c7b.jpg

its a little hard to understand,,, but the fuel line should be pointed forwards not backwards,

you may need to bend the flaired end of the fuel line up a little also.

100_1463_zps328d11f3.jpg

once the hose is going forward it will follow the lip of the fuel tank to the hard line and stay close to the tank instead of floating out to the left and getting into the exhaust pipe.

again it will be close, and it will not make you very comfortable. you have to jiggle around everything including the exhaust hanger to make everything have just the right clearance.

Thank you very much. A appreciate that..

Mike

Back