Fuel tank top vent

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
I was trying to blow air thru the vent line and it feels like the top tank fitting is clogged. the lines blow clear. I remember there was some kind of special fitting up there. Is this a one way valve or rollover valve that doesnt allow me to blow air thru it or is it likely clogged.

I noticed my electric fuel pump sounds like its laboring too much (noisier)

and I am thinking there is no vent in the tank if that is clogged.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no valve in it but is a small hole, easily plugged. Vapor can go in or out to relieve pressure or vacuum.

I took it off last night it was clogged with corrosion. I ran a drill bit thru it and cleared it up as well as enlarged it a bit by mistake.

I guess its better to have more venting than none.

I took it off last night it was clogged with corrosion. I ran a drill bit thru it and cleared it up as well as enlarged it a bit by mistake.

I guess its better to have more venting than none.
The vent does go both ways. I to had problems with mine when I plugged the system up not understanding how it worked.My car would shut down even with my Holley blue pump.I finaly figured it out and reinstalled all of my system.

The foam that was in the valve was bad,so I used new foam from a crank case filter to replace mine.

If you messed up your vent I think I have another in my shop. Let me know. Eddie

1973_Ford-17.JPG

Thanks for the offer Eddie, It should be fine. I had an intermittent leaning out problem at the track and also an intermttent extra noisy electric pump

hope this cures it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back