Garage Tetris

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitssjca

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Let's preface this with I'm working with a 1 1/2 car garage.

After struggling with my compressor to keep up with my sand blaster over the past few months I decided it was time to breakdown and purchase a compressor that could keep up.

(Does this sound familiar yet?)

I purchased a brand new 2 stage compressor with double the airflow I had before. It's 220v so I game on. I figured I bit the bullet and spend that weekend clearing a space and wiring a new circuit. The best place was in the back corner which had a giant cabinet I used for stacking old paint, cleaners, solvents etc. I took the opportunity to toss most of it and put the rest of it in a more reachable space.

That space had my new headers in it so I though I'd just put them on the block and create some space. Not so fast... Why is that second bolt so difficult to put on? It took a while.. but OK...

Now that I have all this airflow I want to make my sandblast cabinet easier to reach (I always had to pull it out of the corner and go outside to use it) so I needed to move my welding cart and radial arm saw out of the corner. (light bulb moment) That welding cart should fit between my two engine stands.

Remember those headers? Now my engine stand sticks out about 1 foot further than before so I can't roll the stang back in with it in the way. HOLD ON! Turn it sideways, put my welding cart longways in front.

Thankfully my Craigslist ad produces a buyer for the old compressor!

Remember that radial arm saw? It's to wide to move past the stang and the side of the garage door. Time to disassemble it. Outside for craigslist pics and then it's corpse sits where the blast cabinet was, waiting for a buyer. The blast cabinet is accessible under the light (good for visibility) but with all that new airflow I have to address the dust. Out to buy a shop vac.

Now I have 2 50 foot air hoses making a mess on my floor. Off to buy air hose repair kits to shorten hoses since they're just 6 feet from the new compressor.

Next week, need to shorten the hoses and install my cord reels.

At least I got my headers on and a couple of pieces sandblasted in the process.

I feel your pain!!! I have a 12'x26' single bay garage. It is adjacent to my living room which has a fireplace...guess where the chimney is??? Yup, protruding into my already narrow 12' width! My solution, unfinished basement, if it's not immediately needed for what I'm doing to my car at that moment, it's downstairs. Whenever a new peice of equipment enters the garage, it's remodel time!

At least we're not outside! At my first house I had a temporary car tent I worked in!

You know, there's a part of me that wonders if I should just save up and buy one that's already done. But then, where would the challenge be in that? I really need to figure out what to do with that hood. I'm working on the engine bay and the hood is upright infront of my parts storage. So everytime I'm looking for something I have to move that hood. It's like a broken sliding glass door.

Back