Gas tank size?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I placed the sending unit in the tank and the tube faces the rear (toward the filler neck). I wo der if it's the right unit? It's the Spectra FG87A.
 OK, this is what I went through and I explained the issue. The Spectra FG87A is NOT any Mustang sending unit. No idea what it is for unless it's for a car with a right hand outlet in the tank and the fuel line goes down that side.

It was recommended to buy the Dorman 692-232 which is correct. This one is Stainless Steel with a brass float. There are other brands out there similar.

I bought mine from Rock Auto and after I sent it back and pointed out the issue, it was removed from the Mustang listing, maybe it's back, I haven't checked.

SEND IT BACK!!

Geoff.

is what you bought. Outlet points to the back.

Finally got the new Dorman unit, all is good. Just need some nice weather now to get under the car. Did you think it was necessary to maybe clear coat the tank for a little extra protection since its out?

I placed the sending unit in the tank and the tube faces the rear (toward the filler neck). I wo der if it's the right unit? It's the Spectra FG87A.
 OK, this is what I went through and I explained the issue. The Spectra FG87A is NOT any Mustang sending unit. No idea what it is for unless it's for a car with a right hand outlet in the tank and the fuel line goes down that side.

It was recommended to buy the Dorman 692-232 which is correct. This one is Stainless Steel with a brass float. There are other brands out there similar.

I bought mine from Rock Auto and after I sent it back and pointed out the issue, it was removed from the Mustang listing, maybe it's back, I haven't checked.

SEND IT BACK!!

Geoff.

Finally got the new Dorman unit, all is good. Just need some nice weather now to get under the car. Did you think it was necessary to maybe clear coat the tank for a little extra protection since its out?
  Glad you got that issue sorted. Why that wrong sender is still listed for 71/73 Mustangs by many vendors, is beyond me.

As for coating the tank, it's not necessary as it is terne coated, lead/tin alloy if I'm correct. If you want to do it, I'd do a small spot to make sure it sticks, but take some grease and wax remover and wipe it down. Duplicolor, for instance, have that so should be available anywhere that sells Dupicolor products. As for the underside of the trunk floor, depending on it's condition, you could spray it with a rubberized undercoating. Mine was pristine slop grey, so I just sprayed it with Fluid Film, a wax like product.

While you're at it and I'm sure this has been mentioned, replace your fuel lines. I'd go with SS, but not really necessary especially if you can still get non-ethanol gas.

Also, you may find you need to adjust the sender arm to read correctly. You probably have already read about this. I set mine for a 1/4 tank, i.e. 5 US gallons. Better to know when it's getting low than when full.

Hope that helps,

Geoff.

SEND IT BACK!!

Geoff.

Glad you got that issue sorted. Why that wrong sender is still listed for 71/73 Mustangs by many vendors, is beyond me.

As for coating the tank, it's not necessary as it is terne coated, lead/tin alloy if I'm correct. If you want to do it, I'd do a small spot to make sure it sticks, but take some grease and wax remover and wipe it down. Duplicolor, for instance, have that so should be available anywhere that sells Dupicolor products. As for the underside of the trunk floor, depending on it's condition, you could spray it with a rubberized undercoating. Mine was pristine slop grey, so I just sprayed it with Fluid Film, a wax like product.

While you're at it and I'm sure this has been mentioned, replace your fuel lines. I'd go with SS, but not really necessary especially if you can still get non-ethanol gas.

Also, you may find you need to adjust the sender arm to read correctly. You probably have already read about this. I set mine for a 1/4 tank, i.e. 5 US gallons. Better to know when it's getting low than when full.

Hope that helps,

Geoff.

I like the idea of undercoating the body after I take the tank out. I have new brake and fuel lines so that will make it a little easier to coat the entire area. I just need to get the Mustang out from my shed and my garage on the lift so I can get started. I've been stockpiling parts over the winter. Just waiting for March to come so my other cars don't sit outside. 

Glad you're getting it all sorted. Sounds good.

One other thought if not already mentioned, replace all the old rubber fuel line pieces with injector fuel line. It's not cheap, but is resistant to Ethanol on the INSIDE!!

fuel getting on the outside will leave a horrible black mess on your hands if you touch it. Also, please don't use those horrible gear clamps. They look bad if nothing else. One of my pet peeves I guess.

Geoff.

Back