Got it started...but one solved issue leads to another

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepasquale1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1
I posted a week ago talking about how i could not get my motor started. Alot of you guys posted on here that i was probably 180 out / timing issues. You were right i was 180 out.

NEW issue: Got its started today, walking around counting all of the leaks and found a nice puddle on the passenger floor. Obviously the heater core. I had no heater core issues when i first got this car. When i bought it it had a runnig 390 in it and it ran with no leaking heater core. I took the new heater hoses back off, re clampped them, same thing. I do see dropplets of water coming off of the firewall where the hoses go in and it is putting water into the heater box itself and runnig onto the garage floor and the passenger floor of the car. Any thoughts?

I would guess that you opened up a seam when you took off the old hoses, was probably close to failing. If you're sure that the leak isn't in the hose connection, or even running down the hose and into the firewall, I agree you have a heater core leaking. Because of the thin material and flexing during heat cycles Bar's Leak probably won't help you.

I'm pretty sure it's not running down into the firewall from the hoses. when I checked out the heater box I noticed that the condensation drain tube that I had broken of a long time ago had water coming through it as if the heater core is leaking inside the box itself. are there any good walk throughs posted on how to replace a heater core

One thing that is helpful in replacing a heater core is to remove the glove box and door to help access the heater box.

I also remove the passenger seat just to have more room for me to fit in there but that is not necessary for most people.

Mike, if you just want to get the car running you can bypass the heater by just looping a section of hose from the 2 fittings on the engine. You won't have heat but you won't have leaks either. It'll work for the short term, I ran my car 1 summer like that.

Was it raining outside when you started it? :p

Oh wait, I'm thinking about my cars.
Thought the same thing, cowl leak.

That will put a nice puddle on the floor.

mike

Mike, if you just want to get the car running you can bypass the heater by just looping a section of hose from the 2 fittings on the engine. You won't have heat but you won't have leaks either. It'll work for the short term, I ran my car 1 summer like that.
Good suggestion :idea:

If you don't need the heater right now.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it raining outside when you started it? :p

Oh wait, I'm thinking about my cars.
Thought the same thing, cowl leak.

That will put a nice puddle on the floor.

mike

Good suggestion :idea:

If you don't need the heater right now.

mike
I havent had a heater in mine since i bought it. Been running it about 6-7 years like that. I will hook everything up once the wife starts complaining that its too hot in the summer or told cold at night. If i hook it up I want all the a/c to work also. So till then.... heck with it. LOL

I was thinking about bypassing it but i figured the same thing as a few other had said incase if i ever needed a defroster. Lol no rain storm, the car has never seen rain since ive had it.

I actually studied pictures of the A/C heater box and took on the challenge today of removing it. It came out pretty easily. I left the blower motor side in the car and removed the heater core side only. It was actually really easy and took about an hour. After i got the core out i filled it with water, plugged one end and pressurized the other. Surprise surprise it srung a leak. At least a new one is only 20.00. And no rats nest in the box either which really surprised me. Just a few acorns. lol that was it.

Also with this being an A/C car my A/C coil is still present. Im not going to put that back in the box. Im not making this an A/C car.

Latest posts

Back