Grande rear quarter glass seal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyg923

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang grande 351c
Anyone ever change the seal on the rear quarter window... Mine is shot. I'm looking online for replacement seal and hopefully i am gonna buy the right item... ex.

(https://www.cjponyparts.com/quarter...281oDl4jUZxRah6TBTXxz1fY1uqJ2XlcaAhrdEALw_wcB)

I believe that is the right one

but doesn't look like it's easy and I just don't wanna dive into it with a guess of what to do. it's attached to the chrome, I assume weatherstrip adhesive... so any help is appreciated

Attachments

• 20240617_190434.jpg
    20240617_190434.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240617_190409.jpg
    20240617_190409.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Changing the seal is a piece of cake. Remove the B-pillar seal, roll the window down an inch or so. Slide the w/strip straight up. You may need to carefully open the channel at the base of the window channel where I have the arrow. Roll the window down 3/4 of the way and slide the whole piece right out. Clean the channel of any residue, rubber chunks, etc. Blow it clean.

I prefer to install them dry so there's no tendency for it to slide up. Use a tiny bit of silicone spray if needed. Make sure to push the lower tab into the arrowed channel before seating the strip all the way down. There's usually a small slot or hole in the metal backer by the bottom edge, you can use a pick or awl to help pull the w/strip through.

Once you've got it installed. check the seal against the door glass. You may need to gently push the seal outwards to adjust the inner metal spine to hold the seal to the glass.

1718730031862.png

Last edited:
johnnyg924, I can't really add to HC's above post except to reiterate it's truly is a simple procedure (for once on our Stangs!) This "little" part is real important because we look at it every time we climb in the car...

Changing the seal is a piece of cake. Remove the B-pillar seal, roll the window down an inch or so. Slide the w/strip straight up. You may need to carefully open the channel at the base of the window channel where I have the arrow. Roll the window down 3/4 of the way and slide the whole piece right out. Clean the channel of any residue, rubber chunks, etc. Blow it clean.

I prefer to install them dry so there's no tendency for it to slide up. Use a tiny bit of silicone spray if needed. Make sure to push the lower tab into the channel before seating the strip all the way down.

Once you've got it installed. check the seal against the door glass. You may need to gently push the seal outwards to adjust the inner metal spine to hold the seal to the glass.

View attachment 89889
Sounds like a good plan... thanks for the help

Back